DIY residency orders

sparklemummy

DIY residency orders

Post by sparklemummy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:42 pm

Hi there, I'm new to this site and looking for some help/advice on DIY residency orders, I’ll try not to make this too long,
Myself and my husband are currently looking after my baby niece with the agreement of my sister ( mum) and social services, baby has been with us for 7 months now (since she was 8 weeks old).
Social services were involved with baby from the start as my sister has drug/alcohol problems. We are aware we have no legal right at present, and in January met with a solicitor to organsie an R/O. We still have not had the legal aid agreed and have even been sent through more paperwork recently to complete. It is taking a very long time and until the legal aid is agreed we cannot instruct the solicitor to proceed (we cannot afford to pay the full legal costs ourselves)

My sister does visit occasionally say every couple of months with Nan/aunty but we live over 100 miles apart - As a family we have also discussed the r/o and possible adoption in the future, so at present mum is happy to work with us. Also I have read that mediation is often required, but as a family we have already done this.

Social services have visited us a couple of times and are happy, but have said we need to move forward to secure babies future. My sister can be very unpredictable and although she has said she cannot/doesn't want to look after baby she still has full PR.

The social worker has suggested we apply for the r/o in person and thinks it should be fairly straight forward as it is within the family and mum is in agreement, they are happy to supply any assessment/ paperwork that I will need - I am using the fact sheets on this site as a starting point and hope that there might be someone who has done this and can advise me what the best way forward, any info would be a great help at the moment.
Many thanks

cbsab

Re: DIY residency orders

Post by cbsab » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:30 pm

Why wont Social Services pay your legal fees? I think it very fair for them to do so - just be sure that a Residency Order is what you and your husband want - if adoption is the long term solution then get on and do it - me and my husband have a SGO over our nephew and wish that we had have gone for adoption. Good luck and I am sure you will get the result you need just dont let Social Services make you decide on something quickly.

xx

sparklemummy

Post by sparklemummy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:40 pm

Hi Cathy,

Thanks for your reply, we would like nothing more than to adopt now but my understanding was that I need some type of legal order first before I apply. I have emailed the BAAF as well, so I'm looking into the adoption process at the same time. However if there’s anyone out there that has represented themselves with R/o and SGO we would like to hear their experiences.

Many thanks

Robin D

Post by Robin D » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi Sparklemummy and welcome to the forum.

FRG publish a number of advice sheets at http://www.frg.org.uk/need-help-or-advice/advice-sheets. If you look in section E, there are one each for DIY Residence Order and DIY Special Guardianship. These have been produced with input from a number of people who have been through it as well as the FRG advisors and legal team so I think you should find them very helpful.

Best wishes ..... Robin
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

sparklemummy

Post by sparklemummy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:23 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies, I have looked at the FRG fact sheets and i'm using these as a starting point, social svcs seem postive about adpotion in the future and sugguested I contact the LA and speak with an adpotion social worker. I will also speak to BAAF as well for info. Please keep your replies coming we need all the advice/info you can give.

Asia