representing ourselves in court

nannydunn

representing ourselves in court

Post by nannydunn » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:47 pm

hello can any one help with advice as to how to go about reprsenting yourself in court we ahve just been quoted beteen £5000.00 £20,000.00 plus vat court fees and barister fee to fight our case totally out of our reach so we have no choice but to represent ourselves we need to contest our negitive fostering assesment but only have a very limited time there is a hearing on 27th July and we need to apply to be come party to the proceedings as well before this date so any advice would be greatfully recived we have never been in a court room in our lives so dont know what to expect

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: representing ourselves in court

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:43 pm

Dear nannydunn,

You have a lot to do before the hearing on the 27th July. What about instructing a solicitor for a limited time, say to prepare the application? Could other family and friends chip in to the cost?

In respect of representing yourself at court-being a litigant in person, I suggest you look at the
Bar Council Guide. It has tips about preparing cases and representing yourself.

However, there is nothing specific about care proceedings. I suggest you also read through our advice sheet 15 care proceedings which gives an overview about what happens during the proceedings.

In respect of your application to be joined as a party, do you know the views of the other parties? What is the guardian saying? What about the parents?

Are you also applying for leave to pursue an application for a child arrangements order or special guardianship order?

Have a look at our advice sheets 18 and 19 about these different legal orders.

Both advice sheets have sections on court applications, the forms that are needed and how to fill them in.
I hope this is helpful. There is a lot of reading to do!

Please also post back or ring our advice line on 0808 801 0366, if you have any questions in relation to your application.

Best wishes,

Suzie