The information on these pages will help you understand your rights and options. You will find information about children’s services, child protection and the kinds of legal proceedings (care proceedings) that can be started by children’s services if they are worried about your child.

There are separate pages to help young fathers and young parents who are care leavers.

There is also specific information to help you if you and your child are affected by domestic violence.

On each page you can look through the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for answers to some of the questions young parents most often have. You can also use the A-Z pages to help you understand the words and phrases that social workers often use.

The information on this website:

  • Is intended for guidance only and whilst every effort is made to ensure it is correct at the time of publication, it should not be used as a substitute for legal advice or for individual advice about your case
  • Refers to the court process in England and Wales. Wales has some differences in law and guidance to England, so if you live in Wales and are unsure, please check wtih Family Rights Group via our free advice line
  • Does not apply to Scotland or Northern Ireland.