Where to get more information: Government

The Department for Education (DfE) section of the UK government's website provides official information about education in England.

The Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills (Ofsted) is the non-ministerial government department of Her Majesty's Chief Inspector of Schools in England (HMCI).

  • Ofsted has a wide inspection and regulation remit which also includes: local services, childminding, child day care, children's centres, children's social care, fostering agencies, adoption agencies, CAFCASS, teacher training providers, and colleges and learning and skills providers in England. It also monitors the work of the Independent Schools Inspectorate.
  • Inspection reports can be read by visiting the Ofsted website.

Estyn is the name of the office of Her Majesty's Inspectorate for Education and Training in Wales, which carries out a similar role in Wales to Ofsted in England. Further information including inspection reports can be found on the Estyn website.

Contact Us

The Print House, 18 Ashwin Street
London E8 3DL

For advice, please contact:
0808 801 0366
(from 9:30am to 3pm Mon-Fri)

For administrative queries,
please contact: