What should I do if English is not my first language?

If you are not comfortable in discussing information about your child and family in English you should tell the social worker straightaway. They should be able to make arrangements for an interpreter to be present when you meet with them, and also to be at the conference with you. If you feel the social worker doesn't use the interpreter properly or talks in English to other people including perhaps the abuser, and you don't understand what is being said, make sure you point this out to the social worker or the social worker's manager as soon as possible. You can ask to have a female interpreter, if that would help you feel safer. You may want to emphasise that the interpreter must not have any connection with your family network.