This section of our website will help you if:

  • you need extra help from Children’s Services to look after your child, or
  • you have a child in care.

If you have parental responsibility for your child the information section should help. It is designed to give you information based on your particular situation. To get started you will need to click on the box that best describes your family’s situation.

The information section aims to:

  • Describe the processes that you and your family are likely to go through, so that you know what to expect.
  • Clearly explain the law so that you know what your rights are, what is expected of social workers, and what will be expected of you.
  • Answer commonly asked questions.
  • If you are a mother who has experienced or is experiencing domestic violence, there is also some information and frequently asked questions in the domestic violence and mothers' section.
  • If you are a father without parental responsibility you should instead look at the specialist information in the Fathers section.
  • If you are a father (or a man in a parenting role) and children’s services are involved with your family because of domestic violence you can find the answers to frequently asked questions in the FAQs on domestic violence for fathers section and the domestic violence advice section.
  • All parents can get (and give) support to others’ in similar situations by visiting our discussion forum for parents. Suzie, our specialist adviser works on the board, so you can ask for advice from her too.
  • If you want an in-depth conversation with an adviser call our advice line 0808 801 0366, opening hours Monday - Friday 9.30am - 3.00pm excluding Bank Holidays.

Contact Us

The Print House, 18 Ashwin Street
London E8 3DL

For advice, please contact:
0808 801 0366
(from 9:30am to 3pm Mon-Fri)

For administrative queries,
please contact: