Money/benefit advice

Child Support Agency

Part of the government Department of Work and Pensions. Assesses, collects and pays child support maintenance for existing clients, with the aim that parents who live apart meet their financial obligations. For details of the number you can phone, which depends on when your case was opened, check the website.


Child Maintenance Options

Government service that provides impartial information and support to help both parents make informed choices about child maintenance, and you can apply to them for statutory maintenance collection, for which they charge a fee, if required.

Freephone: 0800 988 0988
(Mon-Fri 8am-8pm and Saturday 9am-4pm)


National Association of Citizens Advice Bureaux (Citizens Advice)

Helps people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free independent and confidential information and advice from around 3,400 locations. The website tells you how to find your local CAB.

Visit the website for online advice and to find your local CAB:


Shelter is a charity that works to alleviate the distress caused by homelessness and bad housing.


Free helpline: 0808 800 4444
Shelter's helpline is open 8am – 8pm on weekdays and 8am – 5pm on weekends, 365 days a year.

Finance information and helplines

Employment Support
Telephone: 0800 055 6688
Textphone: 0800 023 4888
Welsh language telephone: 0800 012 1888
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Child Benefit
Telephone: 0300 200 3100
Textphone: 0300 200 3103
Calling from abroad: +44 (0)161 210 3086
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, 8am to 4pm

Disability Living Allowance
DLA is ending for people who were born after 8 April 1948 and are 16 or over.
You can only make a new DLA claim if you're under 16.
You'll continue to get DLA until the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) writes to tell you about when it will end. The letter will invite you to apply for a new benefit called Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and tell you what to do next.

Personal Independence Payments 
Personal Independence Payment (PIP) helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you're aged 16 to 64.
You could get between £21.80 and £139.75 a week.
The rate depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.
You'll need an assessment to work out the level of help you get. Your rate will be regularly reassessed to make sure you're getting the right support.
Your carer could get Carer's Allowance if you have substantial caring needs.
DWP - Personal Independence Payment claims
Telephone: 0800 917 2222
Textphone: 0800 917 7777
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Carers and Disability check these pages to see what you might be able to claim and who to ring

Guardian's Allowance
Telephone: 0300 200 3101
Textphone: 0300 200 3103

National Debtline
Telephone: 0808 808 4000
Fax: 0121 410 6230
Monday to Friday, 9am to 9pm; Saturday, 9:30am to 1pm

Pensions Advice
Has information about different contact numbers depending on your query.

Pension Credit
Telephone: 0800 99 1234
Textphone: 0800 169 0133

Child tax credits
Telephone: 0345 300 3900
Textphone: 0345 300 3909
Outside UK: +44 2890 538 192

Working tax credits
Telephone: 0345 300 3900
Textphone: 0345 300 3909
Outside UK: +44 2890 538 192