A sector-led Review of the rise in applications for care orders and the number of children in care
Applications for care proceedings in England and Wales reached record levels in 2017. This is one factor contributing to the rise in the number of children looked after in the care system, now at the highest level since 1985.
Family Rights Group have facilited a seven month sector-led Review into the care crisis. The Review is supported by stakeholders within the child welfare and family justice system.
The Review's aims:
- to examine the reasons for the rise in care proceedings and number of children in care
- to at all times retain a focus on achieving the best outcomes for children and families
- to take account of the current national economic, financial, legal and policy context that impacts on families and on local authority and court practice
- to identify specific changes to local authority and court systems and national and local policies and practices that will help safely stem the increase in the number of care cases coming before the family courts and the number of children in the care system.
And the Work Starts now...
The Review has achieved its aim of developing a greater understanding across the sector about the factors contributing to the crisis and of involving a wide range of those involved in the system in identifying and developing options for change. The next stage is much more important. For all of us to own the problem, reflect on messages from the Review, and consider the commitments we can make to safely tackle the crisis and improve the experiences of children, families and practitioners.
Do let us know how you are getting on. We will update this information from time to time, so do come back to take another look.
The Review’s findings have been discussed in some key places, including:
- A speech by Huw Irranca-Davies, Minister for children, older people and social care in the Welsh Government at the Care Crisis Review Launch in Cardiff, June 2018
- Prime Minister’s Questions – on 20/6/2018 a question on the Review from Lucy Allen MP
- Westminster Hall debate called by Lucy Allen MP on the Care Crisis Review 5/9/2018
- House of Commons Library Briefing on the Care Crisis Review ahead of the Westminster Hall Debate 5/9/2018
- LGA Briefing sent to MPs ahead of the Westminster Hall debate about the Care Crisis Review
- House of Commons Library Briefing ahead of a children’s social care debate 9/10/2018 (note debate was postponed)
Read the Review's reports:
The Care Crisis Review: Options for Change
The Care Crisis Review: Summary of the Options for Change
The Care Crisis Review: Factors contributing to national increases in numbers of looked after children and applications for care orders
The Care Crisis Review: Care-experienced young people and adults survey results
The Care Crisis Review: Family survey results
The Care Crisis Review: Professionals survey results
The Care Crisis Review: Children’s Principal Social Work Network survey findings
The Care Crisis Review: Analysis of focus group responses from care-experienced young people