Help with money

You may be able to claim Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit for the child depending on how much money you have. If the child is disabled, you may also be able to claim Disability Living Allowance.

The law says the child’s parents should help you with money if they can. But it might be difficult to ask them and they might find it hard to pay.

Children’s Services may also be able to give you some extra support if the child is assessed as being in need, although they do not have to give you this support.

For further information see FRG advice sheets: 21a. Support for relatives and friends who are looking after someone else’s child and 21b. Social security support for relatives and friends looking after someone else’s child.



Contact Us

The Print House, 18 Ashwin Street
London E8 3DL

For advice, please contact:
0808 801 0366
(from 9:30am to 3pm Mon-Fri)

For administrative queries,
please contact: