What can you do if you’re told that the child cannot come to live with you

This would depend on the child’s legal status:

  • If the child is looked after, you can make a formal complaint about the social worker’s decision.
  • If the child has any other legal status, you should first think carefully about what would be best for the child. If you’re sure that the child ought to move to you, you can go to court to apply for. You could apply for a Residence Order or a Special Guardianship Order but the court will normally expect you to have tried meeting to reach agreement with the parents or others with parental responsibility about this in mediation.