If the child does come to live with you, it will be important to think about what legal status you want for the child

If the child does come to stay with you, you should think carefully about the child’s legal status.

  • If the child is looked after at the moment, they would usually still be looked after when they come to live with you. This means that you would become the child’s foster carer at least at the beginning. You can find out more information here.
  • Whether or not the child is looked after at the moment, you might want to apply for a legal order for the child. You might want to do this if the child is going to stay with you a long time. A legal order such as a Special Guardianship Order or a Residence Order would give you parental responsibility. That would mean you had the legal right to raise the child, and make some important decisions about the child. You could apply for one of these legal orders before the child comes to stay with you, or after the child has been living with you for a while. For more information about these orders look here.
  • If the parents make the arrangement directly with you (without social workers being involved), then this will almost certainly  be a private arrangement so the child will not be looked after. But it is also important to note that if you are not a close relative (step-parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle or older sibling whether full or half) you need to tell Children’s Services as soon as possible if the child will be with you for more than 28 days. They will check on the arrangement to ensure the child is safe and well cared for. (Confusingly this type of private arrangement is called ‘private fostering’).


Contact Us

The Print House, 18 Ashwin Street
London E8 3DL

For advice, please contact:
0808 801 0366
(from 9:30am to 3pm Mon-Fri)

For administrative queries,
please contact: