Reunification assessment

Smarie87

Reunification assessment

Post by Smarie87 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 am

Hi all can someone explain to me what the reunification assessment process is please all we have been told is that it may be a lengthy process. Is it like a parenting assessment? I'm not worried about it but would like to know what to expect. Thank you!

elpis

Re: Reunification assessment

Post by elpis » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:40 pm

from my experience it was very like a parenting assessment. A fair few visits from the SW, lots of questions about your past, jobs, experience, family. Is your home environment suitable, and visits from them during contact.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

Dear Smarie87

Welcome back to the parents’ discussion board. Thank you for your post.

I can see from your previous posts that you and you partner have been working very hard to overcome the difficulties that led to your children being in foster care.

I think that children’s services may now have agreed to do an reunification assessment. You are wondering what to expect and whether the assessment process is similar to a parenting assessment.

Another parent has posted a helpful response explaining what their experience was like and how the assessment was carried out by their local authority. I hope that has been useful to you.

I would advise you to ask your children’s social worker to provide you with a copy of their reunification policies and procedures. They should be transparent with you about their reunification assessment process. Unfortunately, not all local authorities have a specific reunification policy so it is possible that they may say they do not have a written policy. However, the social worker should be able to provide you with information about how they propose to assess you and the timescales involved. Any assessment will consider your parenting capacity, strengths and weaknesses, potential risks, your children's views and whether a return home is in their best interests.

You may be interested in the information contained on the NSPCC website: Reunification Practice Framework Guidance, published in 2015 by the NSPCC. Pages 21 – 66 may be the most helpful. Your local authority may not use this guidance but it should give you some idea of what to expect.

I hope this helps. I hope your situation moves forward soon.

If you would like to discuss your situation with an adviser please call the freephone advice line on 0808 8010366, Mon to Fri (except bank holidays), 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.

Best wishes

Suzie

love2022

Post by love2022 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:09 pm

hello Smarie87, just wondering how is your reunification assessment going so far? do you mind sharing the information here please? thank you.

Hi elpis, i noticed you have experienced the reunification assessment. can i ask what questions and how your social worker asked your children please? what was your children's response? was the outcome positive? thank you.