Case conference pending

Needhelpplease

Case conference pending

Post by Needhelpplease » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:23 pm

There was a dv incident in October and one previous since October social services have been involved. Child was placed on a child protection register in November for 3 months initially. Partner had to stay away from the home and Social worker was to do unannounced visits and core meetings monthly and parenting assessments with both me and my partner. She hasn’t done any unannounced visits, she’s done one core meeting and I’ve only actually met with her twice since November but partner has all his parenting assessments done. The case conference now is in 4 days and we’ve done everything to work with them whatever they’ve asked and have done a co parenting class above and beyond what was asked. There has been no hostility or any further incidents but health visitor has said even though we’ve done everything right because the social worker hasn’t she doesn’t know if she could vote for us to come off the register. We were really hoping my partner could move back home after this case conference review but if they keep my child on the register is this possible? Would they keep him on the register and allow my partner to come back home or will he not be alllowed back until the child protection case closes? Social worker has been useless at giving info as she changes her answer every time my partner asks her so we don’t actually know where we stand.

Needhelpplease

Re: Case conference pending

Post by Needhelpplease » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:29 pm

Update so case conference for Thursday has been cancelled, partner was called 4 hours ago and told about it being cancelled but I’ve heard nothing yet. Is it strange that they’re not contacting the mammy? She knows we’re not living together or talking all the time so why should he be responsible for relaying information to me

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Case conference pending

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:56 pm

Dear Needhelpplease

Thank you for your further two posts.

In your first post you mention that the children are on child protection plans (register) for 3 months. This is not correct; the first review conference is held at 3 months this does not mean the children will be removed from the plan. It is to assess the position and how well things have gone or not. It is possible on that a case can be downgraded to child in need at a first review conference, but I do not think this is the norm.

You were advised by the health visitor that they could not support a move to child in need as all the work under the child protection plan has not been concluded. It is likely that other professional may take the same view. The plan required specific things to be done to improve the situation in resect of safeguarding and if this has not happened the likelihood is the child protection plan would remain in place.

I note in your second post that although you received notification of cancellation of the review conference your partner did not. This could have been for any reason, that a call had not yet been made or the social worker was called away on an urgent/emergency case. Has children’s services imposed any restrictions on you both being in touch with each other? Whilst I understand you may be concerned; I do not believe there was any reason you were informed of the cancellation separately. You can both ask the social worker the reason that happened.

The decision about your partner returning to the matrimonial home would need to be discussed with the social worker or at the review conference. It is possible for a parent to return home but this is not a question I can answer since I do not know enough about the case or children’s services concerns.

Please read the information HERE about child protection also, you may find this film part two, relating to a review conference helpful.

Hope this is useful.

Best wishes

Suzie