SGO Agreement not kept re visitation rights with Daughter Mother Sister Grandparents

Kestrel 2

SGO Agreement not kept re visitation rights with Daughter Mother Sister Grandparents

Post by Kestrel 2 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:38 am

Hello, Thankyou for this Amazing Service.. I write on behalf of a distraught Friend regarding her not being allowed any visits with her Daughter who is subject to a Special Guardianship Order for the previous 4 yrs..
My friend has had Addiction Issues, now has a substantial amount of Continuous Sobriety via a Twelve Step Programme and a Active Support Group..
The Carer refused contact due to a Relapse last year. Currently is not responding at all, and has stated there will be No Contact between Daughter Mother Sister or her Family..

The situation is, no contact between mother&carer and therefore no contact between Mother/Grandmother / Sister and the child who is four. The Social Services are saying its not their matter anymore and offer Zero Assistance..
We appreciate this service very much
Best Wishes
Kestrel

Edited by Suzie to maintain confidentiality of all parties

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: SGO Agreement not kept re visitation rights with Daughter Mother Sister Grandparents

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:29 pm

Dear Kestrel2

Welcome to the parents' forum and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie . I am Family Rights Group’s online adviser. I am sorry to hear that your friend has not able to see her daughter, who lives with a Special Guardian.

You explain that the Special Guardian stopped contact as your friend had a relapse. I hope that she is now fully recovered. It is likely that the Special Guardian felt that contact was not in the child’s best interest while her mother was dealing with her difficulties. However, she is not responding to your friend’s request for contact since.

Your friend can:

• Contact the Special Guardianship Support Team in the local authority that was involved when the order was made to ask for their support in trying to resolve this issue.
• Offer mediation to the Special Guardian. Please see the following links to mediation services:
The Family Mediators service and National Family Mediation
• If mediation does not resolve matters she should consider applying for a Child Arrangements Order for contact.
• She may find our advice sheet 2 b) helpful as this explains more what she can do.
• She may need to consider how she can demonstrate that she has recovered from her relapse and is doing better. She would need to show how she can satisfy the Special Guardian and/or the Court that she is in a better situation and that contact would be beneficial to her child.

This is a private law matter so we cannot provide more specific advice but your friend may be able to access further advice and support from the following:

• Child Law Advice
• Rights of Women
• Support through court.

I hope this is helpful and that the situation moves forward.

Best wishes

Suzie