Voluntary assessment

Ly3006

Voluntary assessment

Post by Ly3006 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:55 pm

I had some minor support from a case worker in jan 2022 relating to DV they decided dad was not a risk for the kids (which is true) and that we could coparent effectively as long I knew how to safeguard myself from any further DV. I have not heard anything from social services since jan 2022 until recently when they found out I am full term pregnant with my now ex husband who doesn’t live with me but we have a very effective co parenting system in place for our young children.
They have asked me to agree to a voluntary assessment on the baby to establish additional support. Even though I have not had any contact with social services for a long time in relation to the existing children or coparenting system in place.
I have agreed but I’m unsure how they can justify doing this when they have had no contact at all with me for such a long time and they have given very little information on what the process entails. Any guidance I am grateful for. Thank you

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Voluntary assessment

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:15 pm

Dear Ly3006

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board. Thank you for your post. My name is Suzie. I am Family Rights Group’s online adviser.

First, congratulations on your pregnancy. It hope that all goes well.

Thank you for letting me know how children’s services were involved with your family in the past. This related to domestic abuse. Children’s services were satisfied that you and your ex-husband were able to effectively co-parent and that you knew how to keep yourself safe from domestic violence. It sounds as if their involvement was short-term. Perhaps this was because you and your ex-husband did not live together?

As you and your ex-husband now have a baby due, this has resulted in children’s services’ becoming involved again. This is likely to be because there is an increased risk of domestic violence during pregnancy. The arrival of a newborn can also be a stressful time for parents increasing the risk of domestic abuse. And it may be that children’s services think that you and your ex-husband are in a relationship again potentially increasing the risk of further domestic abuse. There may be worried that past behaviour e.g. domestic abuse, can be a predictor of future behaviour. So they are wanting to work with you, with your consent, to assess the baby’s needs, those of your other children and to put any identified support in place.

These FAQS on domestic abuse for mothers discuss why children’s services become involved in these situations.

You say that you are full-term pregnant so they seem to be becoming involved at a late stage. Usually an assessment will be carried out earlier in an expectant mother’s pregnancy. Midwives usually ask at the booking-in appointment if there is a history or current domestic abuse or social work involvement and refer to children’s services who decide whether to offer an assessment or not.

If this assessment takes place before the baby is born it will be a pre-birth assessment. You can find more information here. If the assessment takes place after the birth of your baby and involving your other children this will be a child in need assessment. Please see this advice. This should help you understand what to expect.

You have agreed to the assessment which is a positive. It shows that you are willing to work with professionals to make sure that your family is safe and well-cared for. Children’s services can only remain involved, without your consent, if they are doing a child protection investigation.

You and your ex-husband have shown in the past that you are able to cooperate with children’s services and co-parent. It is a good idea to engage again. If there is any support that you would like this is the right time to ask for it. You should ask the social worker to keep you fully updated about the assessment. In particular, if they have any concerns, ask that they let you know so that you can address them. This guide to working with a social worker gives useful tips about this.

The recommendations at the end of any assessment are the most important part. There are different possible outcomes e.g. voluntary early help support or a voluntary child in need plan. However, if the outcome is that the baby / children may be at risk of significant harm then children’s services would be legally required to make child protection enquiries. This could lead to a child protection conference. This is not a voluntary process.

I hope this has helped explain why children’s services are involved and what the process is.

You may have further queries during or after the assessment. Please do contact the advice service again. You can post back on this forum. If you prefer you can:

• Call our freephone advice line on 0808 8010366. The lines are open Mon to Fri, 9.30 am to 3.00 pm, except bank holidays.
• Ask a question on our advice enquiry form.
• Use our webchat service.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Suzie