Volunteer to give up prenatal right

RFG33

Volunteer to give up prenatal right

Post by RFG33 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:09 pm

Hello just want to know can I give up my volunteer prenatal right over to her grandad

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Volunteer to give up prenatal right

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:33 pm

Dear RFG33,

Thank you for your post.

I am unclear from your post what your enquiry is. I am presuming that you are asking if you can give your parental rights for your child to her grandfather. Please do let me know if this is not what you meant.

If you would like your child's grandfather to care for them - and you have parental responsibility - you can make this arrangement directly. If children's services have no part to play in this, this would be an informal family arrangement. Please note that this would not give the child's grandfather any parental responsibility.

If the child's grandfather would like parental responsibility, he can apply to the courts for a special guardianship order or a child arrangements order. I am attaching our advice sheets here for further reading, which outline the assessment and application process for each and what support could be offered.

Special Guardianship Order - see here
Child Arrangements Order - see here

Best wishes,

Suzie.