CIN rules

Whistledown

CIN rules

Post by Whistledown » Sun May 28, 2023 12:18 am

Hello all.
Very new to this site.
Ive ‘a-lot’ of queries I need verifying if anyone can help?!!

Firstly: If during the process into CIN, if at anytime you think nothing that’s brought forward would in anyway help, it’s all irrelevant, and they’re all basically dragging this whole scenario out longer & longer to no apparent gain within the family.
Can you stop it??

KJY88

Re: CIN rules

Post by KJY88 » Sun May 28, 2023 8:17 am

Hi Whistledown,
My understanding of CIN is that it's set up with your consent, although probably social services would hope you'd agree. It's meant to provide you with any support needed to keep your children safe so can set the ball rolling for you if you want or need help to do this. It's definitely not to work towards taking children away from their families, in fact the opposite really, but I know that sometimes it doesn't always end up feeling a positive thing and sometimes you could feel that it's not even necessary. I found this page on this website which might help and there are lots of threads about different people's experiences and problems if you do a search on this forum.

https://frg.org.uk/get-help-and-advice/ ... s-offered/

Our experience is that it set up a circle of safety around our grandchildren with some 'rules'/expectations but has now escalated to a Child Protection Plan mainly because our daughter-in-law didn't think the circle was necessary, was likely to ignore it and so the children needed more protection.

I'm sure someone with more experience will come along to offer more advice but hope things work out for you x

KatKat10

Post by KatKat10 » Wed May 31, 2023 1:35 pm

If your case is going through the courts, best to engage with CIN, if you don't it can go against you. Personally, I don't find them useful as it's the same people repeating the same old thing every few weeks. But it depends on the type of support being offered, some of it might be useful.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:37 pm

Dear Whistledown

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie. I am Family Rights Group’s online adviser. I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that you are having.

You have already had some responses from another parent and grandparent and a link to a relevant FAQ on our website. But I wanted to add a little more information.

Child in need is a voluntary process and any plan should be agreed with the parent/s. A child in need plan should be purposeful and helpful to the children and their parent/s.

You are not finding children’s services’ current involvement to be useful to you. You are wondering if you can stop the process from happening. A parent can decide that they no longer want to cooperate with a child in need assessment or plan. However, before deciding to ‘opt’ out you should consider whether this would cause children’s services to become more worried about the children’s safety and welfare. In some situations, this can escalate concerns, as another poster has highlighted. This could mean that children’s services would begin child protection enquiries . These enquiries are not voluntary. They continue with or without parental agreement. Of course, this depends on the seriousness of the situation. I cannot predict what would happen in your case. Please see this advice on child protection for more information.

We have a detailed FAQ about this issue which you can find here.

In summary, the best thing to do if you are thinking about stopping working with children’s services is:

• Talk this through with the social worker or another professional who is working closely with your family.
• Say what you find unhelpful
• Say what you would find helpful

Most importantly, you should ask the social worker exactly what will happen if you no longer want their involvement. This will help you make an informed decision.

If you are interested in advice on how to work with social workers please see this guide here.

I hope this has helped.

Please post again on this board if you have a new query or contact the advice service via one of our other options:

• Our freephone advice line 0808 8010366, Mon to Fri, 9.30 am to 3.00 pm (except bank holidays)
Webchat
Advice enquiry form .

Best wishes

Suzie