Pregnant again but 1st child is under a SGO

scaredandlonely19

Pregnant again but 1st child is under a SGO

Post by scaredandlonely19 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:30 pm

This could be long so I apologise.

I had a baby in October of 2016, at 8 weeks old he was found to have a couple of breaks on one of his legs. Me & his farther have no idea how these happened, he never showed any signs of pain but they were found due too me ringing 111 as he had a rash & I was worried it was meningitis, they sent an ambulance, took us too the hospital, did so bloods & ended up doing X-rays which is where they found the breaks. We ended up going through court, interviewed by the police & had supervised contact. Me & his dad also split up. In the end the police said they weren’t pressing charges as no evidence to say we harmed him & the social couldn’t figure out what happened to him. We still too this day don’t know what happened but he ended up under an SGO with my mum & her partner, we see him every week.

Fast forward to now & I’ve found out I’m pregnant again, we had a one night stand roughly 5/6 weeks ago, so I’m not very far at all but I was wondering what the chances are of them taking this baby too? In the last 6 years a lot has changed, the dad has a stable job & a great relationship with his son, I have a stable job & have a great relationship with my son also. We won’t be getting back together & it was a one time thing & a mistake, it shouldn’t have happened but it did & I can’t change that now.

I’m going to refer to the midwives tomorrow but I’m honestly terrified of what’s to come, has anyone been through similar?
Will they give me a second chance even though what happened with my first born was a horrible thing? Especially with no one being able to say what happened?
What’s the path that’s likely to be taken?
Can they take this baby just because of what happened with my first born? Or will they look into everything & try help to keep this baby with me?
I know the chances are I’ll have to have a pre birth assessment done but will I find out at the end of that what there decision is or could it be something I end up finding out towards the end of the pregnancy?

Sorry for all the questions but I’m trying too decide what’s the best thing to do, I don’t want to go through the pregnancy too just have the baby snatched away at the end of it. I don’t feel like I have anyone to talk too so figured I’d come here. Sorry for the rant.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Pregnant again but 1st child is under a SGO

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:07 pm

Dear scaredandlonely19

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Board.

I am sorry to read of your dilemma, though congratulate you on your pregnancy.

In response to your questions.

When you speak to the midwife they may ask you about your history and following this they will/may make a referral to children’s services who may contact you to begin an assessment.

You have said that you understand that you will have a pre-birth assessment, during which you will be able to outline your current situation as well as the historical one. I understand why you are ‘worried’ but at this point there is no way to ‘guess’ what the outcome will be - what happened in the past ‘should not be wholly relied upon as proof’ that the same thing will occur in the future, asking questions of the social workers will be useful for you.

Here is some information from our website that may be helpful to you. If you would like to talk about your situation do call our confidential telephone service and speak to one of our advisers on 0808 801 0366, lines are open Monday to Friday, 9.30am – 3.00pm.

Best wishes
Suzie