Breach of confidentiality 😳

mamaof5

Breach of confidentiality 😳

Post by mamaof5 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:50 pm

My 5 children are currently in foster care (3 different placements) I requested to be referred for a new family group conference so that we can create a safety plan for the children to return home in case I have a mental Heath crisis again so that I know my children are protected as much as possible.
The LA agreed and sent me to referral to sign, my children’s CURRENT placement addresses are all on it!!!! The SW has given me the children’s foster carer’s addresses!!!
Obviously I know I am not a risk and would not go to these addresses as I would not want to do anything to upset my children. But the LA do not know I wouldn’t do this!!
I am now worried this risks my children being moved from their current placements where they are settled 😭

We don’t have a final court date yet although we just had the children’s 3 month reviews which I believe went really well and our IRO is really nice. She is hoping by end October when we have our next review that we will hopefully have a plan for the children to return home *fingers crossed*

Should I raise the concern of the leaked addresses to social care or the IRO to give them my word that I will NOT go to these addresses or pass them on in anyway or do I just not say anything?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Breach of confidentiality 😳

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:20 pm

Dear Mamaof5,

Thank you for your further post. You say that you received documentation from the local authority which mistakenly has the addresses of your children’s various placements written in it.

As you have a good relationship with the IRO I would suggest that you contact the her in writing (and also copy in the social worker) to explain that you noticed that these addresses were on this document. You should ensure that you have not kept these addresses, instead shred them, and tell the IRO that you have done so. It is always best to be open and transparent about these things if they occur.

I hope that this is helpful,

Best wishes,
Suzie

KatKat10

Re: Breach of confidentiality 😳

Post by KatKat10 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:02 pm

mamaof5, make sure you put it in writing in an email, as you can use this in court to raise lack of professional standards and breach of data protection. It does sound like a data breach and the LA could be liable for a large fine.
KK10