Advice needed asap

Cherished1

Advice needed asap

Post by Cherished1 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:04 pm

Hope everyone is well please can anyone help me. I'm not been informed on certain things. Feel everything is done behind my back, I have shared parental responsibility with social services. Foster carer taken my boys abroad first time out of country. My anxiety is through the roof. Passports applied for without my knowledge. Did not have a say in the holiday. Concern is I have asked Foster carer who signed my boys passport no reply. Was told she and the social worker had a duty to promote contact. Also for some strange reason the carer got sent my birth certificate. Everything seems so mysterious and secretive. Also my son had root canal without my permission thought parents were meant to be informed.Please can anyone help me with what my rights are I've not been invited to one meeting it's making me so depressed. My heart is breaking enough. Thank you for reading. Feel my boys are been bought and groomed thank you

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Advice needed asap

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:58 am

Dear Cherished1,

Welcome back to the parents’ forum and thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear that you have been experiencing high anxiety recently and I hope that the following advice is of some help.

You share parental responsibility with the local authority as your children are under a care order. This means that the local authority should consult with you when making significant decisions about your children’s lives and must take account of your views (although they can make decisions that you do not agree with if they feel that it is in the children’s best interests). From the information you have given it does not sound as if you are being consulted and that your views are not being considered. I would suggest that you firstly discuss this with the social worker and their manager but if you are not happy with their responses then you may wish to consider making a complaint regarding this.

You also say that you haven’t been invited to any meetings. Parents should usually be invited to Looked After Child Reviews. The only reason that a parent should not be invited to attend is if the Independent Reviewing Officer (IRO) and social worker agree that it is not in the children’s best interests. However, the IRO should still consult with parents e.g. by phone. You are also entitled to know why you have not been invited. However, whatever the reason is, it should be explained to you and you should have the opportunity to challenge if you think it is unreasonable. You should contact the IRO initially as their job is to try to resolve issues that arise out of the care planning process. However, if you are unhappy with the IRO’s response or their conduct then you can consider making a complaint.

It is understandable that you are concerned that your birth certificate was sent to the foster carer without your consent. If you do not receive a satisfactory response from the social worker or their manager regarding why this happened then again you may wish to consider putting in a formal complaint.

I hope that this is of some help. Please do post again if you have any further queries or you can call our helpline on 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday, 9:30am – 3pm) to speak with an adviser.

Best wishes,
Suzie

KatKat10

Re: Advice needed asap

Post by KatKat10 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:18 pm

Hi Cherished
Sorry to hear of your current situation. This is very worrying that authorities can apply for children's passports without parental consent. SW asked for my children's birth certificates and passports, but I did not send as they are under section 20. LA is now applying for Interim Care Order.
If I was in your position, I would take this up with the Home Office as to why this can be allowed without your consent.
KatKat10