visit of a social worker at home

BNG54

visit of a social worker at home

Post by BNG54 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:36 pm

Hello,

Social services are now involved and will come to visit me and my son is 2 years next week.

There was a referral after I reported my husband for Domestic Abuse, financial abuse

He was released by the police as I didn't press charges.

My husband is a loving father.

Could you tell what to expect please?

I am very concerned by the situation.

Thank you

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: visit of a social worker at home

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:58 pm

Dear BNG,

Welcome to the parents' board and thank you for your post.

You have a son and children's services are now involved with your family after you reported your husband for financial abuse. You say he has been released by police and you are not pressing charges. You say your husband is a loving father and would like to know what to expect.

Financial abuse is a form of domestic abuse. Domestic abuse is any type of controlling, threatening or violent behaviour between parents, ex partners or family members. You have taken the brave step of telling someone about your husband's behaviour - this is not an easy thing to do, and is natural to now feel worried and confused. Have you spoken a domestic abuse service in your area? You might find it helpful to contact Women's Aid, who can provide information and support. You can also call the National Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0808 2000 247. There is help out there and someone will listen. You may find it useful to take a look at our page on domestic abuse for mothers here.

Children can suffer long-term harm from living in a household where domestic abuse is taking place. This is why children's services are now involved. The social worker will likely begin with a children and families assessment. You can read more about what to expect from this here.

The assessment will involve speaking to you, your husband, observing your child and contacting other professionals involved in his life. At the end of the assessment, the social worker will recommend whether children's services need to remain involved or not. If they think your family needs some support, they may recommend a child in need plan to address the areas of need and risk they have identified. If at any point the social worker is concerned that your child is at risk of significant harm, they may initiate child protection enquiries, which could lead to your son being placed on a child protection plan.

It is very important that you ask the social worker to explain to you why they may be concerned and what steps you can take to keep you and your son safe. You are not responsible for your husband's behaviour, but the social worker will expect you to show insight into the risk and to act in your son's best interests. Your husband will also be expected to take steps to address his own behaviour.

I hope you have found this helpful.

Best wishes,

Suzie.

BNG54

Post by BNG54 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:57 pm

Hello

Thank you for your reply.

They came home and they saw my son is well looked after.

They haven't spoken to my husband yet.

At the last meeting, the social worker talked about recommending a child in need plan to the manager, it was two weeks ago.

I don't have any news, I have been just told there will be a meeting coming soon.

It is a very stressful time for me.

Can social services force me to split?

benion

Post by benion » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:11 am

If it is just a Child In Need plan that is totally voluntary and you are under no obligation to deal with them. However, if we withdraw your consent, they could escalate matters to child protection.

I was raised with domestic abuse and it is scary and distressing. Dropping the charges will not make this go away as many DV victims do this. There is the Freedom Program for DV sufferers and other courses for perpetrators which could help.
Please don't suffer in silence...you deserve better.

benion

Post by benion » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:12 am

Sorry I meant if YOU withdraw your consent...

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:52 am

Dear BNG54,

This is understandably a stressful time for you. You say that the social worker has visited you and your son in the home, and that the social worker talked about recommending a child in need plan. You would like to know if children's services could force you to split from your husband.

It is important that you read a copy of the social worker's assessment once it is completed. This should explain what the social worker may be worried about and why they are recommending a child in need plan. If you agree to a child in need plan, there will be a child in need meeting, which should be attended by you and other professionals who are involved in your sons life. You will come up with a plan to address the risk your son be exposed to, and agree upon which services you may find useful in supporting you and your family. This plan should be reviewed at child in need meetings every 4-6 weeks.

Children's services cannot force you to split from your partner. However, if the social worker's assessment shows that your husband, or your relationship with your husband, could cause your son harm, they may recommend that you end the relationship or that he move out of the home. This would not be legally enforceable - however, if children's services do not think your son is safe in the home with your husband, or that either of you are are minimising concerns and not taking appropriate steps to safeguard him - they may escalate their level of involvement. This could include initiating child protection enquiries.

I hope you have found this helpful.

Best wishes,

Suzie.