Childcare Arrangements

jimbo87

Childcare Arrangements

Post by jimbo87 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:22 pm

Hello All,

Bit of backstory. My wife ended our relationship under the pretence it was my fault - I hadn’t done enough, I was paranoid about her having an affair, etc. I found out four days later she was, and made the decision that I would be keeping the house. I believe this is a big factor in her behaviour to me. This was just over a year ago. I am they named father on their birth certificates.

I paid hundreds for mediation between us earlier this year. We made agreements about the childcare, we look after them 50/50. Not long after mediation I met a new partner, and suddenly she did not want this agreement any more. At first I was unwilling to discuss any more, but she made my life increasingly more difficult by making numerous false claims about me which if I had the funds to do so I would have got legal advice.

I agreed a new parenting plan with her in April. Things with my new partner have gone amazingly well, my kids absolutely adore her and she adores them. We have started discussing plans to move in together so I informed my ex that I’d like to discuss this with her because of the kids - who were very excited and enthusiastic about it. Ex is responding by wanting a new parenting plan, and is saying she will take me to court because I’m not providing a stable life for them amongst many other horrible things.

I’m in the position at the moment where things are tight financially as I’m running the home with no extra benefits etc, so seeking legal advice is again a really difficult option for me.

I’ve tried searching around to find out exactly what my rights are and what I have to agree to because I’m frankly at the end of my patience trying to accommodate her all the time and the spiteful behaviour I get.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Childcare Arrangements

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:55 pm

Dear Jimbo87,

Welcome to the parents’ forum and thankyou for your post. I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that you have been experiencing.

Family Rights Group offers advice to families who have children’s services involvement. We do not offer advice about private law issues so I am unable to advise you further other than to say that if you are unable to come to an agreement with your ex-wife then you may need to consider making an application to the family court for a Child Arrangements Order.

The following organisations may be able to offer you some advice:
1) Child Law Advice - https://childlawadvice.org.uk/ - 0300 300 5480
2) Advice Now - https://www.advicenow.org.uk/ - this website has useful guides including about making court applications
3) Support Through Court - https://www.supportthroughcourt.org/ - offer appointments to support people representing themselves at court

I hope that this is of some help.

Best wishes
Suzie