Parenting Assessment - Advice needed

KatKat10

Parenting Assessment - Advice needed

Post by KatKat10 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:47 pm

Can anyone give me some advice on Parenting Assessments and the type of questions that are asked?

I understand there is no right or wrong answer in this type of assessment, but any guidance or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Parenting Assessment - Advice needed

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:24 am

Dear KatKat10,

A parenting assessment looks at a parent's ability and capacity to provide good enough care for their child. This will involve assessing the parent's history, views and approaches towards parenting and their understanding of their child's needs and relationship to seeking help.

There is no definitive format for a parenting assessment but most will be structured around the common assessment framework common assessment framework and there may be particular focus on particular areas dependant on specific concerns.

The social worker should explain to you how each session will be structured and what it will focus on and you should be given the opportunity to ask any questions at this time.

Best wishes,

Suzie.

KatKat10

Post by KatKat10 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:53 pm

Thank you Suzie for the advice, I will post updates as to how this goes.
KK10

KatKat10

Post by KatKat10 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:20 am

Has anyone undergone a parenting assessment where the SW is focused and obsessed with an absent parent and historical DV with own parents?

I am a single mother, brought up by a single parent. I was very young when my parents split up and do not have memories of living with both parents or any memories of witnessing any DV within that relationship. I feel like the SW is trying to force me to recall events I have no recollection or memories of and is trying to imply I have been influenced by others and lied to, about my absent parent.
I had a good childhood, as my parent brought me up along with extended family members. I did not go without anything.

I have reconnected with the absent parent in my adult life and seen for myself the type of behavior they display, so have had the ability to judge for myself and not to continue a relationship.

That parent was not a big part of my life, the LA are fully aware of who they are and the history, as they have made previous reference early on to my absent parent and appear to know all about them and are fully up to date with their circumstances (they are know to a LA). That parents behavior and current circumstances has nothing to do with me as I am not involved and do not wish to be involved.

It has now occurred to me, after the LA trying to accuse me of having cognitive impairment, mental health issues, they are going down the route of saying I was affected as a child as a result of witnessing DV between my parents and this has affected my ability to be a good parent, etc......They are trying to twist this into something that is not there, to imply my lack of contact with my absent parent has affected me somehow and lack of relationships with absent parent and other family members is a concern and I lack the ability to form family relationships. They will then try and twist this and say this is a concern as I might influence my children into not having family relationships etc.

The SW appears to be obsessed of how a family should be, ie a mum, dad and 2.4 children, maybe a pet thrown in for good measure. This is stereotyping and bias, we are in 2022 and families come in all shapes and sizes.

Has anyone else experienced this?
KK10

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:32 pm

Dear KatKat10

Thank you for the update and for outlining your experience of the parenting assessment done on your family.

Parenting assessments (generally) cover a range of current and historic information, such as the individual’s ability to put a child’s needs first; the ability to meet a child’s health and development needs, providing consistent care etc. The social worker undertaking the assessment invariably will ask parents about their own childhood experiences and from what you have written the social worker explored various topics that may have featured in your childhood such as divorce and separation, witnessing domestic abuse, living in a single parent household.

It is contemporary practice to take into account these childhood experiences and how they may have impacted on your life. Children who witness or were exposed to domestic abuse is a cause of concern for children’s services departments and often lead to the safeguarding of the children, here is information from our website about domestic abuse where you will see how domestic abuse can affect individuals throughout their life.

You mention separation, living in a single parent home and being one yourself. May I signpost you to Gingerbread, this charity provides helpful support to single parents: their motto being “single parent: equal parent”.

You mention your thoughts about what the social worker may have been inferring about your mental well-being during the assessment, here is a link to Mind the mental health charity for information, which may not be useful or relevant to you at this time but might assist other posters on the forum.

Best wishes

Suzie

KatKat10

Post by KatKat10 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:53 pm

Thank you Suzie for your reply.

Can I ask what happens if my parenting assessment is marked as negative, will they need to go over the parts deemed negative to explore this further or can they mark as negative and that is it?

Can they stop my children coming back under my care if marked negative?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:38 pm

Dear KatKat10

Thank you for your further post regarding what happens if a parenting assessment is negative.

If a person has a negative parenting assessment this would mean the decision is that they are not able to safely parent their child or children and, unless this successfully challenged, the likelihood is that the child or children would not return to that person’s care.

If it is the case that you have had a negative parenting assessment and you disagree with the assessment, then I would suggest that you speak to your solicitor to find out if you could ask for a further assessment by an independent social worker. It would be for your solicitor to advise you about this since they have all the information about your case.

As far as the negative parenting assessment is concerned, if there are things within that assessment that may require further work which you would be willing to do, and there is enough time within the timescale for the child or children, you should discuss this with your solicitor. If you are willing to do that work to address those negative issues, the other parties would be able to give their views and the decision is for the judge whether this can happen.

I suggest you arrange to speak with your solicitor about the assessment so you can have advice about the next step you can take.

Hope this is helpful. Should you wish to speak to an adviser, you can telephone our advice line 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm.

Best wishes

Suzie

KatKat10

Post by KatKat10 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:54 pm

Thank you Suzie, I will seek legal advice. So my situation has changed, I attended court on Monday and was granted an ISO and my kids are being returned to my care next week. I still have not had the outcome of my parenting assessment which has been completed. Under an ISO, can my kids be taken away from me if my assessment comes back negative? Can they make me move out of home away from my children if my assessment is negative or do the LA need to apply to the court or inform the court? I feel the LA are going to deliberately mark my assessment as negative in retaliation for not getting the ICO they applied for.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:07 pm

Dear KatKat10,

Thankyou for your updating post and please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to you.

It is very positive to hear that an interim supervision order was granted and that the children are being returned to your care. I hope that this goes well for you all.
Under an interim supervision order the local authority do not have any parental responsibility. This means that they cannot make decisions about where the children live without your consent. If the local authority feel that the children need to be removed from your care then they would need to return to court and request that the interim supervision order is discharged and an interim care order put in place.

I think that it would be best for you to speak with your solicitor about the parenting assessment as it would be unusual for the court to grant an interim supervision order without having seen this document first if it has been completed.

Best wishes,
Suzie