My baby

Fallenangel9719

My baby

Post by Fallenangel9719 » Thu May 12, 2022 12:21 am

My baby is under A section 20 order and so far they're pleased with all my progress and i have completed all my assessments and Courses

However I have failed my parenting assessment does anyone know what this means?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: My baby

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:57 pm

Dear Fallenangel9719

Welcome back to the parents’ discussion board and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie and I am Family Rights Group’s online adviser. I am very sorry that there has been a delay in my response to your post. I am also sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having.

Your baby is in foster care under section 20. Just to clarify, section 20 is not a court order, it is a voluntary arrangement. However, the court is, I believe, involved too so your baby’s situation may be in care proceedings. You will have a solicitor to represent you and they should be able to discuss your failed parenting assessment with you in more detail and help you plan how to respond.

I hope that you have a copy of the parenting assessment and that it sets out what were the issues that the assessor was worried about and which led to a negative assessment. This is the most important thing to know so that you can then think about how to respond and how to demonstrate that you can hopefully improve on these areas and make the changes needed to be able to care for your baby.

You may be able to challenge the failed assessment or ask for a new independent assessment to be carried out or even an amendment to this assessment.

You should ask for a specific appointment with your solicitor to go through the negative assessment and decide on a way forward.

You might want to post back providing some more clarifying information about what were the issues identified in the assessment so that we can advise better on how to try to address them or you may prefer to ring our freephone advice line on 0808 8010366, Mon to Fri, 9.30 am to 3.00 pm (except bank holidays).

Have you been offered a family group conference? This would bring together your family/friends network to see how they can help you to care for your baby or to see if someone in the network can care for the baby, if you cannot.

We have a lot of online information that may be useful to you too including:

Children in the care system under voluntary section 20 arrangements
Children in the care system under a court order
Family group conferences

Please do get back in touch so that we can provide more tailored advice.

Best wishes

Suzie