Fiancé arrested for IIOC and worried about our future

Gardener93

Fiancé arrested for IIOC and worried about our future

Post by Gardener93 » Mon May 09, 2022 10:55 pm

So about three weeks ago my partner was arrested at our home because the NCA had received intelligence that he had images stored on his iCloud. Following an interview and ceasing of devices, he was released on bail pending investigations later that day.

He is absolutely denying any knowledge of these images, he’s instructed solicitors and is certain he had nothing to do with them. As a whole, the whole family believes him, as do I right now.

We have a baby and SS have been out and put a safety plan in place - for no overnight stays and to not live in the family home and all contact with baby must be done by myself or grandparents (In line with his bail).

My biggest fear right now is the unknown. I fear the worse each day. My biggest fear is that even if there is no charge, or a charge but he is later proven innocent, that social services will still enforce us to not live together/be together. Is this really possible if police don’t find any evidence? I know they have to work on probability right now, 100% agree and support that, we both do. But going forward… IF he is innocent… surely they cant impose we seperate to safeguard our baby?

I’m also worried that if he gets charged, the bail restrictions or restrictions from SS will get tighter than they already are? I’m also worried that going forward, I work in a position of trust myself and I know having a child on a protection plan or similar could threaten my job.

It’s such a mess.

Any advice?

Thank you!

Bossman1959

Re: Fiancé arrested for IIOC and worried about our future

Post by Bossman1959 » Mon May 09, 2022 11:14 pm

Hi there, I hear what you are saying. This must be a very stressful time for you. I am not an official on this site, what I can say I have known parents be separated due to allegations later found to be bogus, not taken to court. The social workers in those cases did not make any further demands on the family, but were supportive through a difficult time.
I know all cases are different but please take hope that it doesn't allways turn into worse case scenario..

Take card and try to relax. The truth will out.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Fiancé arrested for IIOC and worried about our future

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon May 16, 2022 3:19 pm

Gardener93 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:55 pm So about three weeks ago my partner was arrested at our home because the NCA had received intelligence that he had images stored on his iCloud. Following an interview and ceasing of devices, he was released on bail pending investigations later that day.

He is absolutely denying any knowledge of these images, he’s instructed solicitors and is certain he had nothing to do with them. As a whole, the whole family believes him, as do I right now.

We have a baby and SS have been out and put a safety plan in place - for no overnight stays and to not live in the family home and all contact with baby must be done by myself or grandparents (In line with his bail).

My biggest fear right now is the unknown. I fear the worse each day. My biggest fear is that even if there is no charge, or a charge but he is later proven innocent, that social services will still enforce us to not live together/be together. Is this really possible if police don’t find any evidence? I know they have to work on probability right now, 100% agree and support that, we both do. But going forward… IF he is innocent… surely they cant impose we seperate to safeguard our baby?

I’m also worried that if he gets charged, the bail restrictions or restrictions from SS will get tighter than they already are? I’m also worried that going forward, I work in a position of trust myself and I know having a child on a protection plan or similar could threaten my job.

It’s such a mess.

Any advice?

Thank you!
Dear Gardener93,

Welcome to the parents’ forum and thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear about the stressful situation that you are in and I hope that the following advice is of some help.

You say that your partner was arrested last month on suspicion of accessing indecent images of children. He has been released on bail with restrictions which include only being allowed supervised contact with your child. A safety plan has been drawn up with children’s services which you are adhering to. You are very anxious about what the future might look like, in particular regarding your relationship with your partner and whether you will be able to live together as a family.

Children’s services cannot ‘force’ you to live separately or to end your relationship. They do not have the legal authority to do so. (Bail conditions are different however and your partner would be breaking the law if he didn’t comply with them). However, children’s services can make recommendations and if you chose not to comply with them this may escalate their concerns about the safety of your child. If they have concerns that your child is at risk of suffering significant harm then they may recommend a child protection conference to consider whether your child should become subject to a child protection plan, or begin the pre-proceedings process. During this process they would consider whether they need to apply to the Family Court to start care proceedings. For this reason it is important that you are very clear about what the consequences might be if you chose not to comply with any recommendations children's services might make in the future.

I would advise you and your partner to continue working openly and honestly with children’s services. They have a duty to investigate when there are concerns that a child may be at risk of significant harm of sexual abuse. They must gather information about the child and their family, assess the situation and ultimately decide whether they think that any action needs to be taken to keep the child safe and promote their welfare. The initial assessment should take no more than 45 working days and at this point you should have received a written copy of the assessment which should clearly state what the recommendations are. It is also important to be aware that children’s services sometimes stay involved even when criminal charges are dropped against a parent. The police investigation is undertaken separately to children’s services involvement (although they do of course share relevant information with each other if necessary).
You might find the information on our website here helpful as it contains information about children’s services involvement when there are concerns about possible sexual abuse. Here are some links to organisations that may also offer support and advice.

You say that you are worried that if your children become subject to a child protection plan this may impact upon your job. If the concerns are relevant to your work with children then agencies have a duty to tell the Local Authority Designated Officer in the area in which you work. They will offer advice about what should happen next.

I hope that this is of some help. Please do post back again if you have any further questions, or you are welcome to call our free, confidential helpline on 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday, 9:30am – 3pm) to speak with an adviser.

Best wishes,
Suzie