Risk Assessment

Butterfly9891

Risk Assessment

Post by Butterfly9891 » Mon May 09, 2022 7:24 pm

We had a case opened due to an allegation of sexual abuse from my partners child.
It has taken a year for the police to do all investigations, check phone , PC and interviews, medical reports the full lot. As this isn't the first time his ex has made lies up against us and they wanted to make sure they covered a grounds.
The police have dropped all charges as there is no evidence to show any of the allegations are true.
Social Services are still pushing for my partner to complete a sexual risk assessment.
Does he have to do this when he has had all charges dropped.
What rights do we have to say no as we have co-operated with everything else they have asked us to do.
We are almost 1 year on and my baby is 1 in 3 months and they are still not wanting to close the case down.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Risk Assessment

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon May 16, 2022 11:57 am

Dear Butterfly9891,

Welcome to the parents’ forum and thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that you and your family have been experiencing. I hope that the following advice is helpful to you.

You say that there was an allegation that your partner had sexually abused his child. The police are taking no further action however children’s services have told you that they wish to complete a risk assessment. You would like to know if he must comply with this and ask what your rights are.

Firstly it is important to say that children’s services often stay involved even when criminal charges are dropped against a parent. The police investigation is undertaken separately to children’s services involvement (although they do of course share relevant information with each other if necessary). Children’s services have a duty to investigate when there are concerns that a child may be at risk of significant harm of sexual abuse. They must gather information about the child and their family, assess the situation and ultimately decide whether they think that any action needs to be taken to keep the child safe and promote their welfare.

You don’t say if your child is subject to a child in need plan or a child protection plan. If your child is subject to a child in need plan then anything actioned in the plan is voluntary (including assessments) and the parent can turn down the services and support offered by children’s services. However this may cause children’s services to become more concerned about the child’s welfare and they may then recommend a child protection conference to consider whether the child should become subject to a child protection plan. Unlike the child in need process, the child protection process is not voluntary and the parent cannot turn this down. If you and your partner do not comply with the risk assessment and children’s services become more concerned that your child has suffered, or is likely to suffer significant harm then they may begin the pre-proceedings process. This will consider whether they need to apply to the Family Court to start care proceedings.

You can find more about the child in need process and some FAQs on our website here process. Similarly, please see here for information about the child protection process.

Ultimately children’s services cannot ‘force’ anyone to comply with a risk assessment, however it is important that you are clear about the possible steps that children’s services could take if you choose not to comply (outlined above). I would strongly advise your partner to comply with the risk assessment and for you both to continue working with children’s services in order to work towards the best outcome for your child and your family.

You might find the information on our website here helpful as it contains information about children’s services involvement when there are concerns about possible sexual abuse. Here are some links to organisations that may also offer support and advice.

I hope that this is of some help. If you have any more questions then please do post again or you can call our free, confidential helpline on 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday, 9:30am – 3pm) to speak with an adviser.

Best wishes,
Suzie