Concerned parents – what happens next

TL2022

Concerned parents – what happens next

Post by TL2022 » Mon May 09, 2022 1:59 pm

Hi all,

I’m posting this for some advice about what to expect next / what are the implications for my family going forwards.
I went to collect my daughter (who is 3) from nursery on the Friday before the bank holiday. Upon arrival I was asked by the deputy manager to go to the parent teacher room for a conversation. I was then made aware that my daughter had said something that was believe to imply sexual abuse from both myself and my wife (her mum). I was gobsmacked; I confirmed to nursery that no abuse is occurring and didn’t understand where she would get such a statement from.

I spoke with someone from social services over the phone but they didn’t really seem to ask much in the way of questions.
They (social services) then attended, spoke with the nursery team and observed my child before observing her behaviour around me. Since she didn’t make any subsequent disclosures to social services and her behaviour around me was considered normal, we were allowed to leave nursery in my care; but to expect a follow up after the bank holiday.

On Tuesday after the bank holiday we then followed up with social services to understand what was happening. It seemed the case hadn’t been handed over to the local social services team. Later that afternoon I spoke with one of the social workers from the local team and they basically confirmed over the phone that they did not believe that any abuse was occurring, pending some routine background checks. However what does this mean?
(its worth noting as well that social services have not spoken to my wife at all regarding this, only me)

Is this classed as “no further action taken”
Will we receive any written confirmation of what state the investigation is left at?
Who has visibility that this disclosure occurred?
My wife and I have a child on the way due later this year. What are the implications for them?
Are there any implication / restrictions for me and my wife for this false disclosure?

thank you for any advice you can give

benion

Re: Concerned parents – what happens next

Post by benion » Tue May 10, 2022 2:37 pm

Yes.

Will we receive any written confirmation of what state the investigation is left at?

Very unlikely they will write to you.

My wife and I have a child on the way due later this year. What are the implications for them?

None really. It is unlikely you will hear from them again.

Are there any implication / restrictions for me and my wife for this false disclosure?

None whatsoever. The allegation will lie on file, alongside the social workers findings that no abuse occurred. The only way you would ever hear about it again is if a further incident of suspected abuse arose.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Concerned parents – what happens next

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri May 13, 2022 5:08 pm

TL2022 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:59 pm Hi all,

I’m posting this for some advice about what to expect next / what are the implications for my family going forwards.
I went to collect my daughter (who is 3) from nursery on the Friday before the bank holiday. Upon arrival I was asked by the deputy manager to go to the parent teacher room for a conversation. I was then made aware that my daughter had said something that was believe to imply sexual abuse from both myself and my wife (her mum). I was gobsmacked; I confirmed to nursery that no abuse is occurring and didn’t understand where she would get such a statement from.

I spoke with someone from social services over the phone but they didn’t really seem to ask much in the way of questions.
They (social services) then attended, spoke with the nursery team and observed my child before observing her behaviour around me. Since she didn’t make any subsequent disclosures to social services and her behaviour around me was considered normal, we were allowed to leave nursery in my care; but to expect a follow up after the bank holiday.

On Tuesday after the bank holiday we then followed up with social services to understand what was happening. It seemed the case hadn’t been handed over to the local social services team. Later that afternoon I spoke with one of the social workers from the local team and they basically confirmed over the phone that they did not believe that any abuse was occurring, pending some routine background checks. However what does this mean?
(its worth noting as well that social services have not spoken to my wife at all regarding this, only me)

Who has visibility that this disclosure occurred?

thank you for any advice you can give
Dear TL2022

Welcome to the parents’ forum and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie and I am Family Rights Group’s online adviser. I am sorry to hear of the current stressful situation.

Children’s services became involved with your family recently following a comment your young daughter made at nursery which seemed to imply that both you and your wife may have sexually abused her. The nursery contacted children’s services who observed you and your daughter and were happy for her to return home with you. Children’s services have not spoken with your wife at all.

Understandably, you want clarity about the outcome of this. A social worker indicated to you by phone that they would make some additional background checks but pending the outcome seemed satisfied that your daughter was not being abused. However, you have heard nothing back since. You are expecting another baby and worried that this referral will have implications for the new baby too.

I think that it is very important that you and your wife are pro-active in contacting children’s services and requesting an update both verbally and in writing about the outcome of their involvement. They should tell you what checks they have made with your network – probably with your GP and health visitor due to your daughter’s age – and the outcome of those checks. If they are closing the matter with no further action they must inform you of this. You should insist that you receive this information in writing too. It is important that you have a record, for your own peace of mind and for completion.

Obviously if children’s services are intending to assess further they should also inform you and your wife of this. You and your wife have parental responsibility for your child. Children’s services should work transparently and in partnership with you. Your wife should be fully included too. Here is a summary of how children’s services should work with families.

As another parent has suggested, if the matter is closed it will remain on children’s services database where the outcome should be clearly recorded as well as the reason for the referral. It should not impact your new baby or your daughter or be revisited unless there is a further referral or allegation in the future.

Please post back or call our freephone advice line if you have any further queries or the situation changes. The number is 0808 801 0366 and the lines are open from 9.30 am to 3.00 pm, Monday to Friday (except bank holidays).

Best wishes

Suzie