Feeling desperate - Help!

SussexMinTrouble

Feeling desperate - Help!

Post by SussexMinTrouble » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:55 pm

Hi, I really need some (non judgemental) guidance on how child services work.

7 weeks ago, we had a knock on our door and I was arrested for uploading IIOC, which I have categorically denied, but that's by the by and I appreciate the investigation needs to run its course ... which can be a very very long process by the sounds of it.

As we have 2 children (1 and 6) we were told that social services would be in touch within days to arrange an assessment of risk. We are now 7 weeks down the line, have only just heard from a case worker that a social worker will be assigned within the next 3 weeks.

I am currently on bail, not allowed to sleep at home and not allowed unsupervised contact with my children, which is absolutely heartbreaking. My investigating officer has said she wants me to be off bail but can't until she has the green light from SS.

I'm after some guidance as the timelines just don't make any sense, why would this be taking so long? Are there any conclusions or implications that can be drawn from this delay? My lawyer has said she has never had a case where SS are not in immediate contact so not only is it very perplexing, it is very stressful as we are completely in the dark.

Any thoughts or guidance would be really appreciated.
Thank you!

Need help 2021

Re: Feeling desperate - Help!

Post by Need help 2021 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:49 pm

Hi I am in smiler situation what I wanted to ask did you accept that you sent it and you are guilty ?

Need help 2021

Post by Need help 2021 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:00 pm

My husband was also arrested for the same thing he has been give community service and 10 years on the register even though criminal and probation do not have a problem with him socail does it’s been a year this month since we have not stayed together and our case is in the family court at the moment .

SussexMinTrouble

Post by SussexMinTrouble » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:45 pm

What kind of problem does SS have with him? My wife and I are resigned to the fact that it's likely we will need to separate to ensure SS are satisfied that the kids are "safe", even though they are arguably are more risk mentally not having their dad around. Is your husband allowed to see your kids? (assuming you have them).

Need help 2021

Post by Need help 2021 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:57 pm

Hues he can see his son but only in contact centre at the moment until the judge decides the risk he is to his son and it takes ages I will be honest with you socail have done my head in

SussexMinTrouble

Post by SussexMinTrouble » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:07 pm

omg, from your experience is this typical from SS?

Need help 2021

Post by Need help 2021 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:17 pm

Can you inbox me so I can explain properly

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:27 pm

Dear SussexMinTrouble,

Welcome to the parents' board and thank you for your post.

You say that 7 weeks ago, you were arrested for uploading IIPC, which you deny. You have 2 children, aged 1 and 6, and were informed that children's services would be in touch - you have only just been told that a social worker will be allocated within the next 3 weeks. You are currently on bail, and are now allowed to sleep at home, or have unsupervised contact with your children. You would like to know why it is taking so long for children's services to take further action and would like some advice on this.

You are right in saying that this is a unacceptable delay in response following a referral. Children’s services should decide certain things within one working day of receiving a referral - you can find this statutory guidance on page 33 of a document called 'working together to safeguard children (2018)'. These things that children's services should do are:

Confirm the request has been received, and then decide:
- Whether to start an assessment
- What type of assessment it should be
- Whether the child needs any immediate services or immediate protection.

From the information you have given in your post, I am assuming that children's services have decided to do a children in need assessment. This is an assessment that should be concluded within 45 days of the referral being received. The social worker will speak to you as parents, to your children, to any other agencies involved and will make an assessment of the risks and strengths within your family - they will then make a recommendation as to whether children's services needs to take any further action. You can read more about what to expect from a children and families assessment here.

Once a decision has been made for an assessment to be completed, a social worker should be allocated to do this. I cannot give you a definite answer as to why you have been given a timeframe of 3 weeks - this may be due to a backlog of assessments and a shortage of social workers.

I would advise that you send your concerns in writing to a senior member of children's services, such as a team manger or service manager. You can ask your current contact at children's services to provide you with these details. If you are not satisfied with the response you receive, you may want to consider making a formal complaint. Please see here for more information on how to do this.

Best wishes,

Suzie.