Unexplained injury

Purfleetdad

Unexplained injury

Post by Purfleetdad » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:15 pm

Hi, I would like to start by saying ANY help will be most appreciated!

Our son xx was born 8 weeks premature. Long story short when he reached term age I fell asleep whilst feeding him and he fell from the sofa.

He was found to have a skull fracture which originally the hospital said ties up with him falling from the sofa. However, later x rays found he also had a fracture in his leg which they said would require force.

Both of the children have been taken from us and put into care since late October. This time has been absolute hell for us. Even that is a understatement.

We are going through court and we have a number of experts looking into things.

The first expert to report back was the neurologist. He has stated that xx's skull fracture is extremely likely to have happened by him falling from the sofa and it’s likely he has been thrown.

Myself and my partner know for a fact while in our care this is the only accident he has had.

When he was in hospital they told us he has a condition called osteopenia which means his bones would be more brittle than the average baby.

Our final court hearing is currently the middle of June. I’ve been looking at this date as when we are getting the children back and keep telling myself “we’re getting there”

However, after this first report coming back I am absolutely gutted. I was so excited when the experts started their reports thinking “finally our innocence will be proven” but this report coming back feels like either the system is fixed or im just in a living nightmare. It doesn’t seem possible.

Does anybody have a similar experience?

I want my children back so bad we love them unconditionally and I really will appreciate any kind of help given.

Thank you

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Unexplained injury

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:28 am

Dear Purfleetdad,

Welcome to the parents' board and thank you for your post.

You say your son was born 8 weeks premature. When he reached full-term, you fell asleep whilst feeding him and he fell off the sofa. He was found to have a skull fracture and a leg fracture which hospital staff said would have required force.

Both your children have been in care since late October and there are currently proceedings ongoing. There have been a number of expert assessments ordered. The first report you have received is from the neurologist which states that your son's skull fracture is likely to have happened from him falling from the sofa and it’s likely he has been thrown. You and your partner deny this and also say that he has a condition called osteopenia which means his bones would be more brittle than the average baby.

You are very disappointed since receiving this report as you were looking forward to your children being returned to your care. The final hearing is in June.

I am sorry to hear about the experience you and your family are going through, this is clearly a very distressing time.

It is understandable that you are upset about the outcome of the neurologist's report as this would suggest that your son's fracture was caused by someone who was caring for him. It is important that you now speak to your solicitor about what options you have - you may be able to challenge the report in court prior to the final hearing and ask for another expert opinion. Has there been a fact-finding hearing or is there one scheduled? This is a special kind of hearing where the judge will look at all the available evidence and make a decision on how the injuries to your son were caused and who may have caused them.

At the final hearing, the local authority will put forward their care plan for what they think should happen in terms of the long-term care of your children. If you do not agree with this, you will be able to contest it and the experts who have written reports may be asked to give evidence. The judge will make a decision based on what they think is in the children's best interests.

I hope you have found this helpful.

Best wishes,

Suzie.

VHNF4

Re: Unexplained injury

Post by VHNF4 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:45 am

Hi
Can I ask how your hearing went due to a similar situation

I hope all ok

Many Thanks