Rights of seeing child

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:31 pm

Rights of seeing child

Post by gingerspice » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:56 pm

My childrens father was charged with sexual assault of an adult last year. The lady was his friends girlfriend who accused him of putting his hands in her knickers and trying to touch her. He pleaded not guilty and there was no DNA evidence and poor evidence in general but he was found guilty and sentenced to 11 months in prison.
He is being released in June and as he is now on the sex offender register, social services have been in touch to ask if I am ok with him seeing the children and I have said I am as he has never been any danger to them or myself he has no previous and I have known him over 10 years and have no concern for my safety or there’s.
Probation have now been in touch with his mum to say that he will not be allowed to see the children and it will be something for him to work towards.
I just wanted to know where we stood with this as I have a 5 year old who has been dying to see her dad for the last 8 months and now doesn’t seem like this will be allowed to happen and I don’t understand why this would be the case as his offence is nothing to do with minors.

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 3519
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Rights of seeing child

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:35 am

Dear gingerspice

Welcome to the discussion board and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie, I am an online adviser and will be responding to you today.

I am sorry to hear of your situation, it is a stressful time for you and your children. I hope the information provided below is helpful to you.

Your partner is in prison following a conviction for sexual assault of an adult. He is placed on the Sex Offenders Register (SOR)
and due to be released in June of this year. Children Services have been in contact with you to ask whether you feel your partner is a risk to your children. You do not believe he is. The Probation Service have contacted your partner’s mother to advise that due to his conviction and registration on SOR he will not be allowed to have contact with his children and will need to ‘work towards’ this. You do not understand why this is the case given that your partner’s offence was against an adult not a minor. Further, you are worried about the impact of this on your five-year-old child.

When a person is placed on the SOR Children’s Services have a duty to ensure that any children the person has contact with is not at risk of harm. Children's Services need to assess risk which should include the views of the parents with parental responsibility and any other professionals involved in the children’s lives. In your case this will include the probation officer. You say Children’s Services contacted you, but you do not say what the outcome of this was. Did they complete an assessment? If so, you should have received a copy. The outcome and recommendations (if any) will form the initial safety plan for the children and include any further courses or assessments your partner may need to undertake following his conviction. I have added a link HERE to a child in need assessment and a link HERE to a Section 47 assessment to explain the different types of assessments Children Services may undertake in your situation. I would suggest you go back to Children’s Services to ask for clarification on this matter. I would further suggest you and your partner engage with probation services to ensure you fully understand any restrictions put in place when your partner is released from prison. To avoid any miscommunications I would suggest you ask for this in writing.

I have added a link HERE which you may find useful. It is a working with Social Workers guidance booklet we have created at the Family Rights Group. It offers information and guidance to families when working with Children’s Services.

I have also added a link HERE to an organisation caller Unlock. Unlock is a charity founded by a group of former prisoners who wanted to use their experience so that people with convictions would have better opportunities to move on in their lives. They have some useful information for people in your situation.

I hope you find this information useful.  Should you wish to speak to an adviser please call our free advice line: 0808 801 0366 (Mon to Fri 9.30a.m. – 3.00p.m excluding bank holidays). Or you can of course post again on here.
Best wishes, Suzie

Post Reply

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 318 on Fri May 28, 2021 9:04 pm