Confused what next.

Milanda

Confused what next.

Post by Milanda » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:09 pm

:shock: We have an issue with my son school where they did a referral to social services. The procedure was followed we waited for social services to do the assessment. They finished the report and no action taken case closed as they didn't see any need for social service involvement, the referral and things mentioned did not match with what social service found out when they carried out the assessment. my son was consistent when he was interviewed by two different people. Me and my husband doubt that our son could have said those things said by the school, we asked for proof but they just said there where following procedure. It's worrying because we don't know what was the motive of the referral and we really want to have closure with this issue. Both me and husband are healthcare workers who understand safeguarding issues. All this happened when my son was unwell and they had phoned us to go pick him he had temperature of 38 and tested positive to covid. While he was waiting for anyone of us to pick him up, he was sitted with head teacher who then asked him that her bird had seen that he is sad and worried at home. They started asking him questions. When i picked him the first thing he mentioned to me was the head teacher bird said has seen that i was worried and sad at home. I didn’t want him to talk more as he was so unwell and just reassured him not to worry about the bird but we reach home so he rest. The next day early morning the deputy head phoned to say they had made a referral because my son had disclosed some things. When asked she refused to say and just said to wait for phone call from social services. That's how it started. We feel it's prejudice. Hence us wanting the school to explain and give us evidence. Thank you.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Confused what next.

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:37 pm

Dear Milanda,

Welcome to the parents’ forum and thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear of the difficulties that you and your family have experienced recently.

You say that your son’s school told you that they had made a referral to children’s services after your son disclosed some things to them. Children’s services have completed an assessment and have decided to take no further action.

Schools do have a duty to make a referral to children’s services if any of the pupils disclose something which suggests that they might be at risk of harm. This is outlined in statutory guidance called Working together to safeguard children. It is then children’s services duty to complete an assessment to ascertain whether the child is at risk of any harm, or is in need of any additional support. In your son’s case children’s services felt that there was no concern or need of any additional support.

If you are unhappy with the way that the school staff member spoke with your son then I would suggest that you take it up with the school. You may wish to request a meeting to discuss this with them further.

I hope that this has been of some help.

Best wishes,
Suzie

Milanda

Post by Milanda » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:12 pm

Thank you for the advice will ask to have meeting with the school because we believe our son did not mention some of things they said. Will update xx

Milanda

Post by Milanda » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:55 pm

Update,
we had a meeting with the school which even made us more confused because they said our son had disclosed something on two different occasions but yet when school did the referral they never mentioned it to the social services that it was the second time,despite social services asking if there was more evidence. we find it really hard as we believe somehow our son was accused of some things said, it is like the teacher's words against our son. Because with social services two different people asked him and he was consistent in his answers which is different from the teachers. We don't know if it's prejudice or racial. Any advice what next as we really don't want this happening to anyone. Thank you

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:36 pm

Dear Milanda,

You may want to consider asking the headteacher for their records of any disclosures your son made, which should have been recorded at the time he made them. If you are not satisfied with the response you receive and continue to believe that there is a discrepancy between your son's account and that of the headteacher, you may want to consider making a formal complaint. You can ask the school to provide you with information on how to do this.

Best wishes,

Suzie.