Parental Responsibility Order

Mushpea

Parental Responsibility Order

Post by Mushpea » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:52 pm

Is it hard to apply to court for a parental responsibility order and represent yourself? My solicitor has warned me it could be thousands for her to represent. My daughter is 2 years old and I was never in a relationship with her mother. I have had my daughter every weekend since she was born so access is not an issue. The mother registered the birth without my knowledge and I am not named on the birth certificate. I have asked her on several occasions to change this and she just says no. She has ignored a solicitor letter and mediation letter. I am concerned that I have no legal rights over my daughters upbringing and think court is my only option. Any advice gratefully received

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Parental Responsibility Order

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:12 am

Dear Mushpea

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie and I am FRG’s online adviser. I am sorry that I was unable to respond to you sooner.

We advise parents where there is a social worker involved with their child/children. I don’t think that your daughter has a social worker and so your query is a private law matter which unfortunately we are unable to provide any detailed advice on as it is outside our remit.

You have already sought legal advice and are now considering whether to represent yourself in applying for a parental responsibility order to give you parental responsibility (PR) for your daughter. You are wondering how difficult it is to do.

It is certainly possible to do this yourself as a litigant in person.
I hope that the following information/ organisations and/or websites may be helpful to you.

First of all, here are some quick facts about PR for your information.
We have a summary of the steps you can take to acquire PR here. I know you have already tried some of these. However, you may find the section on applying for a parental responsibility order to be helpful.

You can contact Child Law Advice for legal advice if you do not have a solicitor and you may find Advice Now’s website information on going to the family court without a solicitor will provide the answers and reassurance you need.

Support through court is another organisation which can offer practical and emotional but not legal support.

I hope this is useful.

Best wishes

Suzie