Recordings

owlie12345

Recordings

Post by owlie12345 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:29 am

Hello
I don’t want to upset anyone putting this question here but it doesn’t quite fit into anyone of the categories.
I am a prospective adopter having problems with my little ones social worker. Can I record visits/calls to evidence what really happens? Is this legal? Do I have to inform her first?
Thank you.

Bossman1959

Re: Recordings

Post by Bossman1959 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:02 am

Hi, It is my understanding you can't record anyone with out permission. I do know where you are coming from, you get a report and think I didn't say that. You can complain and have your account entered into the file. Are you able to have some one with you when she calls round, as that would help with any anxiety you are displaying, and also gives a witness to the meeting. You may need to ask first, then if they refuse you can complain. Hope that helps.

owlie12345

Post by owlie12345 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:12 am

Hi
I have had other people witness conversations and she has still tried to claim her version of events is correct and will not alter records. This is to the point she is setting up investigations to stop the adoption after little one has been here 3 and a half years already!

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:14 pm

Dear Owlie12345

Welcome to the discussion board and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie and I will be responding to you today.

I am sorry to hear of your experience. It must be frustrating and concerning that after 3 ½ years in your care there is an ‘investigation’ into securing an Adoption Order for your ‘little one.’

You are a prospective adoptive parent; the child has been living with you for 3 ½ years and you are concerned that the social worker is not recording accurately the outcome of your meetings and discussions. From the information you have provided you have tried to resolve this without success. You have asked the social worker to amend the records but she does not agree with you or the other person who has attended the meetings with you and has refused to amend them. You want to know what the legal position is in respect of recording meetings to evidence the discussions, decisions and agreements made.

The Transparency Project document - Parents recording social workers - A guidance note for parents and professionals is a good place to start when considering this. They have prepared the guidance document because there is a lot of confusion about the rules, the law and best practice in this area. They outline some of the “pros” and “cons” of recording meetings, and to help both families and professionals think about this issue from one another’s perspective, so they can make decisions about recordings that are right for the particular circumstances of the case. Please note, the guidance is about making recordings of meetings and discussions between families and social workers (including CAFCASS social work professionals). It does not apply to making recordings of children or of court proceedings. You may find page 8 & 9 helpful as they discuss what the law says about recording meetings including confidentiality and privacy for you and the social worker. A main factor to recording a meeting with a professional is to be open and transparent and to seek agreement from all involved in the recording and to be clear about the purpose of making the recordings. The local authority may also have a policy on this, which you can request.

You say the social worker has refused to amend the records. If there is factually incorrect information recorded, you can ask for this to be corrected. I would suggest you write to the social worker, copying in their team manager and the adoption social worker to highlight the errors and to ask for the record to be corrected. If you disagree with the social workers professional opinion, then you can ask for a record of your viewpoint to be added to the record. I have added a link HERE which you may find helpful. It is guidance and ‘top tips’ when working with social workers. You may find point 4 particularly useful. It discusses understanding your rights and options if things do not improve between you and the allocated social worker.

You don’t’ say what type of ‘investigation’ is taking place - if you can provide some further information I may be able to advise you further on this. Is the Independent Reviewing Officer (IRO) aware of the investigation and your concerns regarding the social worker? If not, I suggest you contact them to inform. The independent reviewing officer has responsibility to challenge poor social work practice and to resolve problems in the care planning process. Each local authority is required to have a dispute resolution process for the independent reviewing officer to raise concerns with senior managers. Dispute resolution should take no longer than 20 working days. Should the dispute not be resolved, the independent reviewing officer has the power to refer the matter to Cafcass.

If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome of any issues raised with the social worker and or the IRO you may wish to consider making a formal complaint. I have added a link HERE which further explains this. It has detailed information about the 3 stages of the complaints process and how to escalate further should you wish to.

Are you linked into any adoption support services? PAC-UK provide information and guidance to prospective adoptive parents that you may find useful.

I hope you find this information useful.  Should you wish to speak to an adviser please call our free advice line: 0808 801 0366 (Mon to Fri 9.30a.m. – 3.00p.m excluding bank holidays). You can of course, post again on here.

Best wishes, Suzie