Child protection family group conference

AnonDC

Child protection family group conference

Post by AnonDC » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:29 am

Good Morning

My daughter is under child protection and a family group conference is being arranged. I have refused to invite any of my family as I don’t want them there. Will this go against me? What will the next steps be if I don’t have the FGC?

Thanks

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Child protection family group conference

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:50 am

Dear AnonDC,

Welcome to the parents' board and thank you for your post.

You say that your daughter is on a child protection plan and that a family group conference has been arranged. You do not want your family to be invited and want to know whether this will be held against you and what steps will be taken if you do not have the family group conference.

A family group conference (FGC) is a family-led decision-making meeting. It brings together the whole family, and others who are important to the child. Together, at the family group conference, they make a plan for the child. Practitioners who know the child (such as a social worker) may have raised concerns and the family group conference should address the problems identified. The aim is to agree a plan to address those challenges, led by what the family thinks will help.

It is up to the parents or carers (or young person aged 16 or 17) to decide who should be invited. If there is disagreement about who should be invited the coordinator will help the family to think through what might happen if key people are or are not there. It may be useful to think about what your child's views and wishes are, why you do not want to include your family and how this may impact on any plans that are made to address any of the problems raised by the social worker.

I cannot tell you for certain what may happen if the family group conference does not take place. Please remember that taking part in a family group conference should always be voluntary - however, it is a key opportunity for family members to take the lead and develop a safety plan for a child and to find out what help and support family can offer. This may be beneficial in addressing risks included in the child protection plan and stop things from escalating further.

You may find it helpful to visit our page on family group conferences here for more information.

I hope you have found this helpful.

Best wishes,

Suzie.

AnonDC

Re: Child protection family group conference

Post by AnonDC » Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:51 pm

Thank you for your reply Suzi