Child protection plan

Dollyboo

Child protection plan

Post by Dollyboo » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:43 am

Hi,

Me and my partner currently have 2 month old baby, I live with my family relatives as there was a one incident of “domestic abuse” it was just shouting and been pushed that’s all I know it’s unacceptable however it was a mistake that shouldn’t happen. Our baby is on child protection plan currently, we are working with all the agencies social services has requested and referred us too, however I would like to know what happens if me and my baby move back to my partner again, is my baby going to be taken away? Things has improved and we are willing to work with social services no matter what it takes. I’m just worried if we do get back together and move back in they will take our baby away 😥

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Child protection plan

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:40 pm

Dear Dollyboo

Welcome to the parents’ discussion forum and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie and I am FRG’s online adviser. I am sorry to hear of the difficulties you and your family are experiencing. Congratulations, however, on the birth of your baby. You and your baby are living safely with family at the moment.

Your baby is currently on a child protection plan due to domestic violence. Did this happen while you were pregnant or when the baby was newborn? Although witnessing domestic abuse is a cause for concern for children of any age it is particularly worrying if it happens before a baby is born or when they are new-born due to their vulnerability at this time, and yours as the baby’s mother. Although you say that it was a one off incident of shouting and pushing, the professionals were satisfied that your baby suffered or was likely to suffer significant harm as a result of the domestic abuse.

These FAQs on domestic abuse may be helpful to you.

It is really good to hear that you and your partner are working well with all the agencies involved and that you are happy to do so. I am also glad to hear that the situation is improving. As your baby is only a couple of months old, though, there may not have been much time yet to evidence the changes or complete any programmes you have been asked to do?

Does the social worker and the core group share this view that things are going well? I think that a review child protection conference must be due soon. It must take place within 3 months of the initial conference which should have happened when the baby was born although there may have been a pre-birth child protection plan in place prior to that. If the baby is no longer considered to be at continued risk of significant harm by the professionals at the next conference then the plan could step down to child in need but if the risk remains or has increased then the child protection plan will continue.

You are wondering what would happen if you and your baby moved back to your partner; would the baby be removed? I cannot say exactly what would happen but would recommend that you discuss any planned reconciliation with the social worker or core group before doing so to ask if they would have concerns about this and if so how would they like you to address them. You could also discuss a timescale and a plan of support. Only the social worker who knows your situation can really say how this would be viewed so it would be a good idea to discuss with them. It may be that the current child protection plan addresses this so do check that as well.

You are the main decision maker for your baby as you have parental responsibility for them (children’s services don’t unless they have a court order). However, if your decision e.g. to live together again, was believed to put the baby at further risk of harm then children’s services would need to consider whether they needed to take any action to protect them. In the most serious situation this could result in a baby being removed from their parent/s. Here is a summary of the circumstances when children’s services can remove a child from their home.

Have you been offered a family group conference? These can be used safely in some situations where there are concerns about domestic violence, where the victim/s safety is prioritised, in order to help the family produce a good safety plan. You can find out more here.

I hope this helps.

If you would like to discuss your situation with an adviser please call the freephone on 0808 8010366, Mon to Fri between 9.30 a.m. and 3.00 p.m.

Best wishes

Suzie