My children in care

Jjt93

My children in care

Post by Jjt93 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:42 pm

Hi, I need advice on how to get my children back in my care alot sooner than what social are saying as its their timeframe now as I went court to discharge the care orders on my children to get them back but they agreed with social and the guardian did so court didn't go to plan to discharge care orders. So social are saying children got say in care another 12 months. I have made all the changes that I need to but still saying 12 months I got wait.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: My children in care

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:28 pm

Dear Jjt93

Thank you for posting and welcome to the parents’ discussion forum.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group. From your post I see that you are concerned about the time it is likely to take for your children to return to your care.

You made an application to discharge the care but from what you state in your post, it is considered too soon for your children to be returned. It is not clear from your post how long your children have been in the local authority’s care. Children’s services would have informed the court of the reasons why the children should not return yet. I think you would have informed the court of any changes you have made relating to concerns that led to your children being removed from your care.

I am not able to say why the judge made the decision but think he or she would have considered the work you have done and whether it is enough. The judge made the decision not to discharge the care order. It is important that you read the reasons the judge gave for the decision not to discharge the order at this time. You should try to work on whatever the judge gave as the reasons.

I can understand that it is frustrating for you as you want your children back in your care, but this is only likely to happen if everyone concerned believe it is the at the right time for the children. You say that you have made all the changes you need to but you have to show you can maintain these changes for a longer period it seems.

Children’s services should keep your children’s care plan under review any way so, it is possible that they may see that you are doing well and assess you for your children to transition back to your care. I know you want this to happen sooner but other than going back to court in 6 months times, you should continue with the changes you have made already to show children’s services that you are able to care for your children safely.

It is only by the court discharging the care order or children’s services agreeing to assess you further to work towards the children being in your care before your children may be able to be back with you. Please see information here

Should you wish to speak to an adviser you can telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays).

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie