Social services advice

Catsanddogs21

Social services advice

Post by Catsanddogs21 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:29 am

Hi I really need some advice my children are on a child protection plan due to domestic violence, I’ve been seeing my partner since September 2013 they did the checks and said there some stuff on there but it should be fine but then I get a call saying he’s a major concern cannot be around my children or I’m putting them in danger because of his history he’s never had dv with any girlfriends and his crimes all date back up untill 4 years ago there now saying that four year ago is not long enough to be out of trouble bearing in mind his local social services have said he can see his son unsupervised, has no social involvement he did probation and hasn’t been in trouble since he had his son and that is why he hasn’t Done anything since 4 year ago his son is 4 he did therapy for his mh and done assessments for his child is they were saying there wasn’t any problems but now there is

Catsanddogs21

Re: Social services advice

Post by Catsanddogs21 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:29 am

2021* sorry

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Social services advice

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:13 pm

Dear Catsanddogs21,

Welcome to the parents' board and thank you for your post.

You say that your children are on a child protection plan due to domestic violence. You have been with your partner since September 2013 - you say some checks were done on him and that there was 'some stuff on there but that it should be fine.' I am not clear from your post when these checks were done. You say you were then contacted and told that he is a 'major concern' and that he cannot be around your children. You say that he has not perpetrated domestic violence against any girlfriends and that his crimes date back to 4 years ago. Children's services have said that this is not sufficient. You say that he is able to have unsupervised contact with his son, aged 4, who is resident in another local authority.

Firstly, it is important to note that children's services have placed your children on a child protection plan because they are concerned that they have suffered significant harm or at risk of significant harm due to your partner. This is due to his criminal history - you have not specified what this is but have mentioned domestic violence. The professionals around your children do not think it is safe for him to have contact with your children at all. The reasons for this should have been made clear to you at the initial child protection conference - if you are unclear as to why they are so worried, you should ask to meet with the social worker and ask them to explain this to you clearly. You should also make sure that you have a copy of and have read the minutes of the child protection conference, the chairs' report and the child protection plan itself.

As the parent of your children, children's services will expect you to prioritise their safety and to act in a protective role. If you do not follow their recommendation, they may become concerned that you are minimising and denying their worries. If you do not agree with their recommendations, or think that your partner should have contact with your children, you may want to ask them what steps he would have to take to show them that he is a safe adult for them to be around. He may to request that he is risk-assessed for contact, but be aware that children's services may take the view that you are prioritising your relationship with your partner above the safety of your children.

In regards to your partner's contact with his own son, I am not able to say why unsupervised contact has been granted - it may be that he has been risk-assessed by the other local authority and that other safety factors have influenced this decision.

You may find it helpful to visit our page on child protection here and to take a look at our advice page on domestic abuse.

I hope you have found this helpful.

Best wishes,

Suzie.