S20-Interim Care Order

Fallenangel9719

S20-Interim Care Order

Post by Fallenangel9719 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:07 am

Help

My little boy was taken into care on the 9th January 2022 by a section 20 order.

Since then I've had contact four times a week for 90 minutes each time and I've been praised for doing so well in contact.

Now all of a sudden they've decided we have to court on the 22nd and its getting moved to an interim care order!

They're worried about my mental and emotional health and about my serious history of domestic violence.

However I've followed every step of the way im keeping up with my room conditions, I've joined a domestic violence course, I've even been put back on my tablets and joined talking therapies however my report now says there is a high risk of adoption

What else can I do please help me I want my little boy back so bad!

My solicitor and family support worker say they're proud of me and how far I've come but im petrified of losing him

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: S20-Interim Care Order

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:06 pm

Dear Fallenangel9719

Welcome back to the parents’ forum and thank you for your post.

First of all, well done on the steps you are taking to address the difficulties you have experienced. It is very good to hear that your solicitor and your family support worker are very encouraging and supportive of the work that you have begun to do to improve your situation and to be better able to care for your baby.

In my response to your previous post I talked about how a section 20 voluntary arrangement is not usually used as used as a long-term option for children to live outside of the family home if the local authority has significant safeguarding concerns especially for a new-born baby. You said the that local authority were going to court on the 22nd to apply for an interim care order to allow them to share parental responsibility with you. You will have had the court hearing by now so will know if the court made the ICO or not.

It is really important that you keep up all the progress that you are making and that you look after yourself. And that you continue to have really positive contact with your little boy. This is all significant information for the court to know.

As the case is now in court, your solicitor will be able to represent you in the proceedings. The court process is around 26 weeks so any decision made this week is temporary.

You mention that there is a high risk of adoption. Children’s services are required to do parallel planning; the purpose of this is to avoid delay for children and to consider more than one possible permanent placement for a child at the same time. This means that they need to assess whether your son can return home to you or their other parent, whether a family member or connected person could care for him or whether he needs to be cared for permanently outside the family. Long-term foster care is not usually seen as a suitable permanent placement for a baby so adoption will be considered too.

You can find out what to expect during care proceedings including the long-term options the court must consider here.

If you have family or friends who could support you to care for your son or who could care for him if you cannot then please let your solicitor and your social worker know and put them forward to be assessed as soon as possible. If you haven’t been offered a family group conference (FGC) yet to help your family and friends network come together to produce a family plan then do considering asking for this to happen, as soon as possible. You can find out more about FGCs here.

I know that there is a lot for you to deal with. Make sure you clarify with the social worker and your solicitor what the court’s expectations of you are and what assessments or programmes they would like you to have or to complete. From the information you have given, you are working well with the professionals and being pro-active; keep doing these things. Our tips on working with your social worker and working with your solicitor may be useful to know about too.

In my previous reply, I talked about the Looked After Child reviews and care plans that must happen when a child is in foster care either under a voluntary section 20 arrangement or an interim care order. Make sure you have a copy of all the relevant plans and that you are involved in your son’s review meetings.

As you have been to court since your post, you may want to post an update about what happened and to ask any further queries you have relating to the hearing.

I hope this has been helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie

Fallenangel9719

Post by Fallenangel9719 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:08 am

Hi there I've had my court meeting and they're not going ahead with the interim care order! The magistrates have praised me on how well I am doing and told me they're happy with my progress!
So far I know:

- I'll be provided with a full assessment plan by the 8th March.
- My Domestic Violence Course will be finished by the 5th April.
- I'll have my full doctors report prepared by the 12th April.
- The parenting assessment will be prepared by the 29th April.
- The local authority will file their final plan by the 20th May.
- They'll file my statement by the 27th May.
- The guardian will file her final report by the 8th June.
- The final court hearing will be by the 17th June.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:30 pm

Dear Fallenangel9719

Thank you for the outline of how your situation is progressing.

Here again is information about Section 20 and about interim care orders.

Do post again if you have any questions.

Best wishes

Suzie

KatKat10

Post by KatKat10 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:00 pm

Fallenangel9719 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:08 am Hi there I've had my court meeting and they're not going ahead with the interim care order! The magistrates have praised me on how well I am doing and told me they're happy with my progress!
So far I know:

- I'll be provided with a full assessment plan by the 8th March.
- My Domestic Violence Course will be finished by the 5th April.
- I'll have my full doctors report prepared by the 12th April.
- The parenting assessment will be prepared by the 29th April.
- The local authority will file their final plan by the 20th May.
- They'll file my statement by the 27th May.
- The guardian will file her final report by the 8th June.
- The final court hearing will be by the 17th June.
Hi Fallenangel, any update on your case? I hope there has been a positive outcome?
Can you give any advice on these types of hearings and how to navigate through the family court?
Thank you
KK10