child protection plan.

Worryingtimes

child protection plan.

Post by Worryingtimes » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:47 pm

Advice needed please.

My partners children have always lived with their mother but, they have been known to the authorities since 2017 this includes 3 child in need plans and two CP plans. The second CP plan was put into place in September and is still ongoing to this day. Th reason for the plans and the social involvement is neglect and risk of significant harm.

We recently had a core group meeting whereby there was another one of many police incident except this time i was a neighbour who had called because one of the children were seen wearing minimal clothing outside the property and the mother was seen grabbing said child around the throat. The social worker is supposed to enter the property every 10 days but has failed and refused entry by mum and her boyfriend. The social worker has managed to enter on one occasion in 6 weeks and was met with a filthy environment so much so she actually purchased the children new bedding herself.

There is so much more to this situation but, I would be here forever ! anyway many months ago now the Chair advised that the authorities seek legal advice yet when questioned by my partner why this has not been done the social worker simply said that she is giving mum the benefit of the doubt and four more weeks to make drastic changes ( note no progression or change in 5 years)

How can this be and why would they not act now given the most recent incident involves child abuse? are they even allowed to ignore the advice of the chair? We have been advised by solicitor not to remove children from mum which makes this so much worse.

any help appreciated.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: child protection plan.

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:55 pm

Dear Worryingtimes,

Welcome to the forum and thankyou for your post. I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that you and your family are experiencing and I can see that you are very worried about your partner’s children. I hope that the following is of some help to you.

I would suggest that your partner gets in contact with the conference chairperson to discuss his concerns about the abuse and the fact that the social worker has only been into the property once in 6 weeks. He should also include the social worker’s manager in this. It may be helpful for him to get copies of all the previous child in need and child protection plans, so that he can highlight the consistent concerns which you say have not improved over five years. If he is unhappy with the response that he receives, or if he is unable to make contact with the chairperson and the manager, then he may wish to consider putting in a formal complaint. Please see our website here for more information about making formal complaints.

From what you have said I assume that your partner has parental responsibility for his children? If so, then he would be within his rights to keep the children in his care rather than returning them to their mother. This would be a private law matter; if the parents are not able to come to an agreement about where the children should live and what the contact arrangements should be then it may need to go through the family court process. A child arrangements order is often used in these circumstances. However, you say that your partner’s solicitor has advised against this – without knowing more details about the situation I am unable to advise further, but I would suggest that you partner discuss this in more detail with the solicitor to find out why exactly they have advised against this. Your partner may wish to contact Child Law Advice for more information and advice around this.

I hope that the above has been of some help. If you or your partner would like any further advice then you can either post here again or call our free, confidential helpline on 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday, 9:30am – 3pm) to speak with an adviser.

Best wishes,
Suzie