Historic case/risk assessment/LAC

Plainjane

Historic case/risk assessment/LAC

Post by Plainjane » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:19 am

Where do I start….

So 20 years ago I started a new relationship. I had 2 young children, and involved SS in my life because of some concerns that I had in regards to my children after a visit to the Paternal Family.

It became apparent during this process that my new relationship was with someone who was convicted SO. Long story short, deemed low risk, proved everything I could to SS, 1 year later we were able to live as a family, and we went onto having a child. It was decided by SS we should tell the children when they got older, which we did. I have managed the risk appropriately and as agreed etc .. We have had a wonderful family life.

Present day. My child, who is now an adult, has had her baby removed from her care under suspicion of AHT that occurred whilst she was not in the home.(her partner was there who she has not had contact with since the incident ) She has done everything SS asked, assessments and contacts going brilliant. She has no history of anything, she doesn’t drink, take drugs, or lead a complicated life. She works hard and has a secure job.

It’s transpired today that myself, my partner are considered a risk to our grandchild because they have ‘been made aware’ I left my children alone on occasion with my partner. Because of this risk (hearsay accusation) we will not be allowed any involvement with our grandchild. It was suggested she may have to cut us out of her life if she wanted her son back.

It has also been mentioned her paternal father is a risk as he was apparently aware of this and should have fought to get their children removed. He was the choice to take on kinship of grandchild if it came to it. So it’s unlikely that’s going to happen.

I’m at a loss, if it was deemed low risk originally how can SS say we are a risk to our grandchild if they have never spoken to either of us at any point since 20 years ago. How can they use this against my daughter and suggest adoption despite it all looking positive that she has not actually harmed her own child.

I’ve contacted her legal team to offer any original files etc, and I’ve told my daughter she has to do what she needs to for her and her son, however how do we overcome this situation without destroying our family and her support system.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Historic case/risk assessment/LAC

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:20 pm

Dear Plainjane,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your post. I am very sorry to hear about the difficulties that you and your family are experiencing and I hope that the following advice is of some help.

You say that children’s services have raised concerns that your partner may be a risk to the baby due to his criminal record, and that you may be a risk as they have been informed that you previously let your partner have unsupervised contact with your children. From what you have said it appears that you are not putting yourself forward as a kinship carer, however you would like to be able to support your daughter and maintain a relationship with your grandchild. Unfortunately grandparents do not have any ‘rights’ in regards of their grandchildren, however as a looked after child your grandchild should be supported to have contact with members of their family (including grandparents) – see here for more information. I would suggest that your daughter should request that she meets with the social worker (and perhaps their manager and the Independent Reviewing Officer) to discuss with them how this could be done in a safe way, both in the current circumstances and if the baby were to return to her care. This might mean that contact between you, your partner and the baby would need to supervised for example. Your daughter could also ask if they would consider completing a risk assessment. Your daughter should ensure that she does not minimise the potential risk posed (whatever her feelings about this) as it is important that at this stage she works with children’s services rather than against them.

The grandfather who is being considered as a kinship carer may find it helpful to contact Kinship to discuss his situation further and get some advice.

Has a family group conference taken place? You don’t say what stage the care proceedings are at, but if there is a possibility of adoption then your daughter may wish to explore all the options in her friends and family network to try and keep the baby within this network. It may be that someone unexpected comes forward as a possible kinship carer.

I hope that the above is of some help. Please do call our confidential helpline on 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday, 9:30am – 3pm) if you would like to speak with an adviser, or you can post again.

Best wishes,
Suzie

Plainjane

Post by Plainjane » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:41 pm

Thank you for your response and apologies for not responding with an update sooner.

So grandson is still in foster care. The court requested pams assessment which has been completed. The pams came back with a few rating 3 priority and a few rating 2 - medium

She lacked on practical but given her baby was taken at 8-9 weeks she hasn’t had the opportunity to cover some of the sections from what I can see.

I think her understanding of potential risk a sex offender poses is not up to scratch In their eyes. Altho she has stated that she wouldn’t leave her son with grandfather unsupervised because she knows he is on the SO register. But they say because she has only known step father to be a good guy ( he raised as her own) it’s not good enough.

We go back to court next month, where 2 questions are being asked by the court to the medical experts. Was it a non accidental injury ( which we know) and if so who did it.

Based on probability it’s the father. Experts narrowed the time down when her solicitors asked questions.

Does this and is this enough to remove someone from pool of suspects?

In socials parent assessment the social worker said that even if it came back as she didn’t do it she doesn’t think she has the capability to be a good parent.

She has dyslexia or at least a form of it when it comes to learning information and just in general but she is on balance not as bad as they make out. She works hard to overcome this and finds a way to learn.

She had been to every contact, she has done everything they have asked of her, she’s improved the home (was overcome with new baby and neglected household chores) she’s learnt to tell the time, got herself a dentist, done several courses in regards to parenting… yet a recent call on a care plan with foster mum and social worker, she was told they are recommending adoption.

In regards to family having him, either they weren’t able to commit to long term or the social found faults.. my daughters father failed because he wasn’t consistent in her life as she grew up and also he was too close to my daughter to stick to rules. My parents can’t commit long term, and pulled out. And on grandsons paternal side, they all failed assessment for various reasons. It’s a tough assessment as it’s the equiv of becoming an actual foster carer from what I can see from paperwork.

For obvious reasons, I can’t put myself forward. Despite previous involvement ending successful and both myself and my partner raising my children and having a child of our own, they are not willing to accept my partner as anything but a risk. They have only ever got info from the old file, never spoken to him or his managing officers. It’s been 20 years and I did explain that risk level is based on changes and what he was 20 years ago is not how they see him now in terms of risky person.

I’m at a loss and I’m very anxious and scared. Literally done everything she can and more…

I just feel social had 1 goal and that was adoption no matter how well my daughter has done.

Any advice welcomed…

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue May 03, 2022 5:24 pm

Dear Plainjane

Thank you for your further post and for updating in respect of the current situation regarding your daughter and grandson.

Your daughter has now had the PAMS assessment, which was directed by the court and, it seems, from what you say that she had some ratings of 3 and some of 2. Ratings of 3 high priority means there are concerns about a person’s ability to cope with the specific tasks and assessed and there is a lot of teaching required. A rating of 2 medium would, I think suggest that the person needs to follow a programme to help them learn certain things. You have commented on your daughter’s difficulties with learning and, it may be, that it is not considered that she will be able to reach a level where she can manage the tasks required in looking after a baby.

Has your daughter been offered any support to help her with the areas that she was unable to meet in the assessment? It is important that she discusses her options with her solicitor. Children’s services should consider what help they can give your daughter to help her improve her parenting skills.

However, as there are other concerns, such as a family member who is on the sex offender’s register as well as a possible non accidental injury, it means that these factors along with your daughter’s understanding and ability to cope are significant factors to be considered by the court.

It is not unusual in care cases for children’s services to carry out twin track planning that is, looking at family members or friends as well as adoption. This is so that they have a plan to put the court in any given situation. It appears that no family member has had a positive assessment. It is possible, if a family member wished to challenge a negative assessment where it was carried out by children’s services and ask the court for an independent social worker to do a further assessment. Only the court can give permission for this to happen. If there are no family members or friends who can offer long term care, then because of your grandson’s age, children’s services are likely to ask the court to give permission for him to be placed for adoption. The final decision will be for the judge to make and all factors will be taken into account in respect of his future care and what will best serve his welfare.

Despite the history with your partner, you could insist that children’s services assess you and they could be a risk assessment of your partner. Is your partner still on the on the Sex Offenders’ Register? If children’s services refuse to assess you maybe, you could then ask the court to direct that they do so or allow an independent assessment.
Regarding the pool of possible perpetrators, it will be for the court to decide in the fact-finding hearing who remains in the pool and against whom a finding will be made.

I understand that this is a very worrying time for you and your family. Your daughter’s solicitor will be able to advise her on the best case to present to the court on her behalf.

If you have not already done so, I suggest that you read the information relating to care and relating proceeding which was sent to you in an earlier post. I have included the link here for ease of reference.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie