Working after having a child under care order.

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:07 pm

Working after having a child under care order.

Post by qwertykey » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:56 pm

Hi I have been in care proceedings for some years and a final care order has been made for my son last year. I previously worked in child care but due to mental health issues during the proceeding I stepped away from employment. I want to go back to work but I’m scared that I won’t be able to find a job in childcare due to having a child removed from my care. I have addressed my mental health issues and have been discharged from the service. I am currently in a one bedroom property but need employment to afford a bigger property for my son to come home to. Does anyone have any experience or advice with this as I can’t find any information online.

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 3532
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Working after having a child under care order.

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:14 pm

Dear qwertykey

Thank you for your post and welcome to the discussion board. My name is Suzy and I will be advising you today.

After lengthy care proceedings your son is now subject to a Care Order. You would like your son to return to your care in the future and as part of your plan to achieve this you wish to seek employment to pay for a larger home to move into. Prior to the care proceedings you worked in childcare and would like to return to this type of employment but are not sure that you can because of the care order in place.

All organisations that provide services to children and young people must ensure that staff are competent, confident and safe to do so. Similarly, anyone who comes into contact with children and young people in their work has a duty of care to safeguard them and to promote their welfare. Whether you can work with children again will depend on several factors. For example, why your son was removed, what the safeguarding issues were and whether there were any criminal convictions. I have added some general information HERE which you may find useful.

You have previously worked in child care therefore you will be aware that to work with children a DBS check is needed. I have added a link HERE to the government DBS information page for further information and advice.

In respect of your child returning to your care, to successfully discharge a care order, you would need to show that there has been a "substantial" change in circumstances since the original order was made AND that it is in your son’s best interests to return home. I have added some information HERE which is found on our website and you may find helpful.

I hope you find this information useful.  Should you wish to speak to an adviser please call our free advice line: 0808 801 0366 (Mon to Fri 9.30a.m. – 3.00p.m excluding bank holidays). Or you can post another question on here.

Best Wishes


Post Reply

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 318 on Fri May 28, 2021 9:04 pm