My partner is in jail

Tulula87

My partner is in jail

Post by Tulula87 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:21 pm

Afternoon everyone... My partner has gone to jail for 26 weeks and he has lost his home. He can be let out on tag and wants to move in with me and the kids... Ive never had social services involved and would they be if he moved in with us?

Any information would be great thank you.. X

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: My partner is in jail

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:01 pm

Dear Tulula87,

Thankyou for your post and welcome to the parents’ forum.

You say that your partner has been jailed for 26 weeks and has become homeless. He would like to move in with you and your children when he is released on tag however you are concerned that children’s services may become involved.

Are you able to share any details about the offence (or offences) that your partner committed? Without knowing the nature of the offence it is difficult to offer you advice as to whether it is likely that children’s services will have any concerns in your particular case. If the offence was violent, relates to children in any way or if it relates to domestic abuse then it is highly likely that they will become involved as they will be worried about the risk of harm to the children. However if it was something like fraud or theft then it is less likely that they will become involved.

It is important that you ensure that your children’s safety and wellbeing is prioritised and that you make sure that you do not feel pressurised to allow your partner to move in with you before you are ready and before you are sure that it will be safe for your children. Your partner could approach the local authority housing department and present as homeless if he is in need of alternative accommodation. He could request support from his probation officer if needed.

I hope that this is helpful. If you would like to post again with further information then please do, or you can call our helpline on 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday, 9:30am – 3pm) to speak with an adviser.

Best wishes,

Suzie