Section 47

User140313

Section 47

Post by User140313 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:39 am

Hi, my first time posting here please bear with me. I currently have a section 47 taking place for my 3 children due to dv against myself and 1 child, from my husband. Assessment period is nearly up and the social worker has told me that she is ready to finish up as no further action as I have done all that they have asked, to safeguard my children and myself. That’s great, however, what happens next? Am I allowed to move forward in the future with my life, for example move to another city, start a relationship etc. It also crosses my mind about my husband, please don’t judge me but some days I am so glad to be away from him, while others all I can think about is us reuniting in the future. If we ever did what would happen, as of now I signed a agreement to social services that all 3 children will not have any contact whatsoever, which they haven’t.but how long is this agreement in place? For life? I am just worried about my future now, even though no further action will be granted. Any advice would be greatly appreciated even from people in similar situations. Thank you

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Section 47

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:10 pm

ear User140313,

Welcome to the parent's board and thank you for your post.

You say in your post that there is currently a Section 47 investigation ongoing in respect of your 3 children due domestic violence perpetrated by your husband towards you and one 1 of your children. The assessment period is nearly over and you have been informed that there will be no further action. You would like to know what happens next - you say that you would like to reconcile in the future, but have signed an agreement with children's services to say that all 3 children will have no contact whatsoever. You would like to know how long this agreement will go on for.

Firstly, it is positive to hear that children's services have assessed you as taking all the necessary steps to safeguard your children. Whilst no further action is being recommended, it is important that you receive a copy of the final assessment and fully understand any concerns that the social worker had and any next steps that are being recommended. You mention one of these recommendations is for the children to have no contact with their father, and that you have agreed to this. It appears that part of children's services closing your case is dependant on this. Do you know why the social worker has recommended this? Was a risk assessment completed on your husband? Indefinite no contact would suggest that he is has been assessed as quite a significant risk to your children.

You mention that you would like to reconcile with your husband in the future? Have you mentioned this to the social worker? With regards to contact with your children, if you have agreed to no-contact, and this does happen, it may lead to a referral to children's services and they may take escalated action. Has the option of supervised contact been explored? You may want to mention this to the social worker, and you may want to consider putting forward a family member to be assessed as a supervisor. Nevertheless, contact must always safe and in the children's best interests.

You or your husband may also want to ask the social worker what steps he can take to address some of the risks that have been identified. Has your husband been asked to engaged in any domestic violence related interventions? If so, after he has engaged in these meaningfully, you may want to ask children's services to re-assess your situation, which may lead to supervised or even unsupervised contact if appropriate.

Alternatively, your husband can also apply to the family courts for a child arrangements order. This means that a judge will look at the situation and make a decision as to whether he should have contact and what conditions should underpin this. For more guidance on this, he can contact child law advice on 0300 330 5480.

Best wishes,

Suzie.