Disabled parent in relationship breakdown

Gmh77

Disabled parent in relationship breakdown

Post by Gmh77 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:22 pm

Good afternoon.
I am a disabled mum of an almost 5 year old child. My spouse and I agreed to separate last month and we are currently co-parenting in the same house. He is my carer and main physical carer of our child. I'm not sure we could maintain this situation permanently but I'm beyond heart broken at the thought of how this will affect my son and my relationship with him. I am unable to look after him, or myself, safely.

Any guidance or advice will be very gratefully received.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Disabled parent in relationship breakdown

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:16 pm

Dear Gmh77

Welcome to the parents’ discussion forum and thank you for posting.

My name is Suzie, online adviser, at Family Rights Group. You have stated in our post that you are unable to safely care for your almost 5-year-old son or yourself because of your disability. I can understand your worry and concern

The current arrangement is that your son’s father is your carer, and you co-parent your son. The circumstances of your relationship have changed as you have now separated and, although your former partner continues to care for you and your son, whilst living separately, you are worried about the future and how you it will affect you being able to maintain a relationship with your son.

I can understand your worry if his father decides to move away from the home you are currently sharing. Is this something the two of you have discussed? You have not mentioned any other support that you may have apart from your son’s father. Perhaps you can both discuss how things could work in the future looking at contact and how you will spend time with your son. It would probably be helpful, if you wish, to include others from your family or support network in this discussion.

I think it is important for you to contact adult social care in your local authority so you and they can discuss what kind of support you would need to care for your son. Please read information on our website for parents with disabilities.

You may also find it helpful to look at the useful links here

I hope this is helpful, but should you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our free, confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays).

Best wishes

Suzie