Pregnant again two children on sgo

Mammabear124

Pregnant again two children on sgo

Post by Mammabear124 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:50 pm

Hi there

I'm looking for some advice two years ago my children were put on a SGO as my eldest ended up with an unexplained injury putting me and my ex partner in the pool . There were also other things contributing towards this. Move forward two years I still see the boys and he has no contact with them but I have just found out I'm expecting again with my new partner.

My head is all over the place as I already know social services will get involved but I want to be ahead of them
Is it best if I ring them and tell them about the pregnancy before my first scan ?
Is there anything else I could do in order to get this baby home when they are born

I've moved away from the area which I was living in which was just causing me to downward spiral constantly and end up the same way I was. I have cut people out my life
I've stopped with the drugs and before I was pregnant my alcohol intake went right down

Thank you

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Pregnant again two children on sgo

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:54 pm

Dear Mammabear124,

Welcome to the parents' board and thank you for your post.

You say in your post that you sons were made subject to an SGO two years ago due to your eldest having an unexplained injury as well as other concerns. You and your ex-partner were both in the pool of suspected perpetrators. You still have contact with your sons and are now expecting a baby with your new partner. You feel worried about children's services becoming involved and want to know whether it is best for you to let them now about your pregnancy. You would also like to know if there is anything else you can do to support your baby coming home with you.

Firstly, congratulations on your pregnancy! I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing worry at this time, but it great that you are thinking ahead. My advice would be to inform children's services as soon as possible, which will show demonstrate your co-operation and willingness to work with them. You can also tell your midwife, who is likely to make a referral.

Due to your previous involvement with children's services, it is likely that a social worker will complete a pre-birth assessment. During this time, the social worker will look at the strengths and risks surrounding your current situation, as well as other factors, like your support network. It is understandable that you may be worried about this, and you may find it helpful to this page with some tips for expectant parents who have also had children removed.

There are a number of outcome that may come from a pre-birth assessment. The social worker may recommend a child in need plan if they think you would benefit from additional support. If there are concerns that the baby will be likely to suffer significant harm once they are born, there is likely to be a pre-birth child protection conference where it will be decided whether your unborn child should be on a child protection plan. Take a look here for more information on these two possible outcomes. Sometimes the assessment will decide that no additional help is needed by children’s services.

If children's services are worried enough to think it might not be safe for your baby to return home, they may initiate pre-proceedings. Pre-proceedings is the process where children’s services consider whether to start care proceedings. You can read more about this here. If children's services are concerned enough, they may initiate care proceedings once your baby is born - take a look here for more information. It is important to remember that children's services cannot remove your baby from you unless you consent to this under a section 20 agreement or if they have an order from the court.

This is a drastic and serious step - please remember that just because your older children were removed, that does not mean this will certainly happen with your current pregnancy. It is important now that you work with the social worker during the assessment period, are open about any support services you may benefit from, show insight into any concerns relating to your history and can demonstrate how you will provide your unborn child with a safe home.

I hope you have found this helpful.

Best wishes,

Suzie.