Average time it took for children to get placed

Scw91

Average time it took for children to get placed

Post by Scw91 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:22 am

Hi all, a placement order was granted last month. At the time of the order, the courts had recognised my changes in terms of regulating moods , however psycharitrist still saying I need 12 to 18 months of therapy. Now at the hearing they said it takes on average 6months to find adopters. I have a 3 year old black child (I mention race as I hear there are less black adopters) she has no additional needs. I want to revoke placement order but obviously if this is the timescales it will be very unlikely. So my first question is from experience what's the longest time scales it's taken to find suitable adopters for a child with the above characteristics , obviously the longer it takes the better chances I have of getting my child back. Also in court the judge mentioned about the local authority reviewing my situation if adopters are not found. I was unclear on how long they said they'd searched for before reviewing me, is anyone able to tell me how long. Also I've read you can revoke an order based on children's changes, what changes are these as the Foster carers are saying her behaviour is changing and also as our contact is being spaced out it's effecting her. Before the final hearing we saw each other 3x weekly since then its decreased alot, with the space to decrease more. Today was the first time seeing my little one in a week, at the end of contact she hit and pulled my hair as she didn't want contact to end, no doubt as we see each other at a monthly then bi monthly basis, the effects on my little one will worsen. Now they removed her because of worries of emotional neglect /harm due to my mental health, however if these things are to be effected due to adoption /seeing me less. Is this a strong case for revoking placement order and the fact it may make her harder to adopt.. Please if people can share lived experiences as well as frg advisers.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Average time it took for children to get placed

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:46 pm

Dear Scw91

Thank you for your further post. It must have been difficult for you to learn at the final hearing that the court agreed with children’s services plan that your daughter should be adopted.

Although the changes you have made were recognised at the hearing there was still a concern that you are not yet at a place in your mental health where you are able to safely care for your daughter.

Regarding your question about the average time, it takes to place a child for adoption, it is difficult to give you an answer. Each case is very different, in some instances a child or children may be placed soon after the placement order is made. In other cases, it can take a year or longer to find an appropriate adopter. A child must be matched with a prospective adopter and the process for finding an approved prospective adopter can be lengthy.
In some instances, if a child is not placed for adoption after 12 months, it may be possible to apply to revoke the placement order. However, before the court would give permission for an application to revoke the placement order, it would need to be satisfied that there is an arguable case. Also, the court in an application to revoke would want to see that there is a situation where changes are evidenced to show that the circumstances are so different that adoption may no longer be the best outcome for the child or children concerned.

As stated above, every case is different, and it is not possible to give you any set time. It is important that you continue work on the changes you need to make and start or continue the therapy that has been recommended.

You can read information about challenging a placement order here as well as this advice sheet advice sheet

I hope this is helpful. Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 3pm.

Best wishes,

Suzie

Scw91

Post by Scw91 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:20 am

Yes so I'm also asking if my daughter is highly destressed, moods changing. Telling fc she misses me etc are these basis to revoke the order. As in my instance the concerns are emotional wellbeing and her emotional wellbeing away from me is worse than it had ever been with me. And just to clarify, in 6 months from final hearing would the local authority review me or not. Also if in 6 months or 12 months if I've not completed therapy but been stable Is this still an "arguable case"

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:42 am

Dear Scw91,

Thank you for your further post.

You believe that your daughter’s emotional wellbeing is being negatively affected by the reduction in contact with you and you would like to know whether this would be enough to demonstrate the ‘change in circumstance’ needed to apply to revoke the placement order. When considering this the court would first need to be satisfied that the change in your daughter’s emotional wellbeing is directly linked to the reduction in contact with you and removal from your care (rather than anything else). They would need to have evidence from those involved in your daughter’s life including the foster carer as well as other professionals. It would be a good idea to ask for this evidence in writing if the foster carer and professionals are in agreement with you. I would suggest that you would be best to discuss this with your solicitor to get their advice about the likelihood of success as they will have all the details of your case.

You also ask whether you would be able to show a change in your own circumstances if in 6 or 12 months your mental health has remained stable despite not completing therapy. I would recommend that you do continue to attend the therapy that has been offered. It is positive that your mental health has improved however without the specific knowledge of your mental health needs I am unable to advise you about whether you would be able to demonstrate a change in circumstance. Again I would suggest that you speak with your solicitor about this to get their advice. It may be that other parents in the forum can offer you some advice from their own experiences.

Please do post again if you would like any further advice or you can call our advice line on 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday, 9:30am – 3pm).

Best wishes,
Suzie