Social media photos

Mrspotato

Social media photos

Post by Mrspotato » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:05 pm

Hi,I just need to know if someone applying for a sgo is allowed to put photos of the child on go fund me page,or is this frowed upon.It is not me but the sgo carer of my grandson who did this when she was applying.Any info would be most appreciated.Thank you

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Social media photos

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:14 pm

Dear Mrspotato,

Welcome to the parents' board and thank you for your post.

You would like to know whether someone who is applying for a special guardianship can put photos of the child on a gofundme page. You say that your grandson's special guardian did this whilst applying for the special guardianship order.

In the UK it is not illegal to post a picture of a child online without permission, however this is not always advisable and it is always a good idea to get the explicit consent of the child or the child's parents. For some children who are vulnerable, posting pictures online can breach their confidentiality and cause safeguarding concerns.

You do not mention whether your grandson was in care prior to becoming subject to a special guardianship order. If so, the local authority should have a policy on photographing/posting pictures online of looked after children, which you may want to request.

Best wishes,

Suzie.