Indecent images found on partners old laptop

Ignatious

Re: Indecent images found on partners old laptop

Post by Ignatious » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:41 am

WorriedWorrier112,

My views are my own, and no substitute for professional legal advice.

My advise is to get proper legal advice, You can use the Law Society to 'find a solicitor'.
My advise is for your fiance to get separate legal advice. His plight I would imagine would come under 2 'fronts', one criminal, and the one I'm proposing he seeks advise about, is to go through a family law lawyer in regards the future of your relationship with your newborn.

You can usually get about 30 minutes free consultation with a family law solicitor

Ultimately, the decision in regard to registration at birth is one for both of you. I would assume your not opposed to it. There is plenty out there on rights of birth fathers, and even if he is not on the birth certificate at registration of birth, (owing to custodial situation at that time, if any), there are other options later. Off the top of my head, I think it's covered under Children Act 1989 Section 4A.

Good Luck,

Ignatious
I am a parent. My responses are not from any formal training background but from my own experiences, my own research and my own point of view.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Indecent images found on partners old laptop

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:32 am

Dear Worriedworrier112

Welcome to the discussion board and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie and I will be advising you today.

I am sorry to hear of your distress. It is a difficult time and there are many uncertainties for you and your family as you head towards the final stages of your pregnancy.

You are worried about the impact of the police investigation into the alleged criminal activity of your partner. You have one daughter who lives with you and has contact with her father at weekends and you are 16 weeks pregnant. Your partner is under investigation for child sexual images found on his laptop. Your partner was 16 when he downloaded the images, and he is now 27. As far as you are aware, this was a one-off incident and no further images have been found on his electronic devices.

On hearing about the potential risk to his daughter, your ex-partner called the police which resulted in a police investigation and Children’s Services becoming involved. You say Children’s Services completed an assessment, closed the case, and said for you to let them know the outcome of the police investigation. Your partner has bail conditions not to be alone with anyone under the age of 18. Your safety plan is to ensure your daughter is staying at her father’s home when you partner visits, and this will remain in place until the police investigation concludes.

You told Children’s Services that your partner will only visit your home when your child is visiting her father. Children’s Services and the police said they are satisfied with this until the outcome of the police investigation is known. Do you know when this is likely to be? You have 14 weeks until the birth of your new baby and I would suggest you have a contingency plan in place to support you, your daughter and new baby should the investigation into the alleged offences still be ongoing at the time of birth or your partner is charged. Whilst Children’s Services have closed their file because they are satisfied that your daughter is being kept safe now, they will also need to consider the potential risk to the baby and they may become involved following the outcome of the police investigation. It would be a good idea to seek support now and to have a plan in place. As part of a contingency/safety plan, you may want to consider future contact arrangements between the baby and their father as children’s services will want to ensure that any contact is safe and it may need to be supervised. This could be by you if you are assessed to be suitable or you/your partner may want to think about responsible family or friends who could be approved to supervise, if needed.

Whether your partner is charged or not, thresholds for police and children’s services involvement are not the same. Whilst the police may find lack of evidence to pursue a criminal matter against your partner, Children’s Services may still become involved because they have lower threshold to pursue statutory duties and enquiries to establish if your daughter (and baby) have experienced or are at risk of suffering significant harm. Please see the link HERE that explains statutory duties (scroll down to point 1. Welfare of the child)

Should this be the case, you would expect that Children’s Services conduct a risk assessment and further assessment, which may involve liaising with relevant professionals. This will inform what (if any) action is required to keep your children safe. Depending on the outcome of the criminal process and/or any risk assessment they complete, Children’s Services may ask you to undertake some specific work to address any risks identified (such as a treatment programme for your partner or a protective parenting programme for you).

Pregnancy, giving birth and the months following pregnancy come with their own unique joys, pressures and stresses, and you have the added complications of your situation. Given this, it is important for you to have practical and emotional support in place. Do you have any trusted family and friends who are willing to offer support? If so, I would suggest you speak to them to see what they are willing to offer. Also, your midwife can offer you pre and post pregnancy advice and information and link you into support services in your local area.

You ask whether the fact that your partner was 16 at the time of the alleged offences, will make a difference in court. We cannot offer advice on criminal matters. This will form part of the police investigation.

You ask whether your partner will be put on the sex offender’s register. Should he be cautioned or convicted he will be put on the sex offenders register. Since 1997, anyone cautioned or convicted for a sexual offence is put on the sex offenders register (SOR). This includes anyone who commits a sexual offence on the internet. Under the Sexual Offences Act, all those on the sex offenders register must register with the police within three days of their conviction or release from prison. If your partner is convicted, he will be required to go to his local police station and sign the register. If he does not register, he will be charged with another criminal offence.

Whilst you do not know the outcome of the police investigation you may find this link HERE helpful. It provides support and guidance for people who have or who are worried about sexual harm to children. It also has a helpline on 0808 1000 900 that offers advice and support to partners as well as alleged offenders. You may also find the link to Parents Protect HERE a useful resource.

I hope this information has been helpful to you. Should you wish, please speak to an adviser on our free advice line on: 0808 801 0366 Monday to Friday between 09.30 am to 03.00 pm. Or please post again on this board if you have a further query.

Best wishes, Suzie