Child protection plan when children change residence

Bossman1959

Child protection plan when children change residence

Post by Bossman1959 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:10 am

Hello thank you for adding me.

Background.

My two children have been known to children's services since 2015. The have been the subjects of 2 child protection plans during that time.

After a disclosure of domestic abuse to the police and eventually the SW, by myex partner. I made the decision to remove the children to my care in an adjoining county. I felt that the situation had gone on for long enough and was not in the best interest of the children.

I ensured the children were registered with dentists and doctors and enrolled in school.i applied to the court for a residence order and a prohibited steps order, I was granted a lives with order and a prohibited steps order.
The court also requested the SW to prepare and deliver to all parties a s7 report.

I have a couple of questions which I dont seem to be able to find answers for.

1. As the origional protection plan was drawn up for my ex partners home and care of the children, what should happen next.

2. Should the social workers complete a new assessment of myself and the new living arrangements or are they allowed to just add me to the origional plan given they had no concerns until I removed the children to a different county.

Thank you again for allowing me to post, and hopefully answering my questions.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Child protection plan when children change residence

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:48 am

Dear Bossman1959

Thank you for your posts, welcome to the Board and in response to your questions.

When children are subject to a child protection plan and move (permanently) to a different area, the original local authority ‘responsible’ for them usually asks the new authority to ‘take over the case’ – this means that the case is transferred to the new authority and the new authority usually has a conference. You could ask the authority you left why your case has not been transferred.

You said that ‘social workers had no concerns until you moved?’. From this statement it might be that social workers may be concerned about your decision to move. Presumably the move was with the consent of the other party in your private law court case, the case that granted you the ‘lives with’ Child Arrangements Order? In any event it may be wise for you to ask the social worker in the previous local authority what their concerns relate to and as I have mentioned whether there will be a ‘transfer in’ conference.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie

Bossman1959

Post by Bossman1959 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:32 pm

Thankyou Suzie for your response.

A little clarification.

The origional child protection plan was in relation to the care of the children by my ex.
This was the second child protection plan in 3 years, both of which went to PLO stage.

During this last PLO stage an incident occurred, with my ex again admitting she was again a victim of DA/DV. The children were witness to the DA/DV as well as other forms of abuse and neglect. It was clear to me that my ex was still not following the plan.

So as there was no residence order in place, and the LA had not been able to make a case for removal of the children to me. I exercised my parental responsibility. I spoke to the social worker to state that my children would not be returning to my ex and I was seeking residence. As I felt it was not in their best interests to stay where they were.

My question was as my children have changed residence, surely the child protection plan is no longer in place as the children no longer reside with my ex.

The social worker responded on the lines that as there was only a lives with order then the children were still the responsibility of the origional Local Authority.

They then went in to say my actions were emotional abuse which meant the child protection plan was to stay in place.

However they did not change any of the conditions on the plan which were all around my ex and her home, with visits to the children and checks on their old bedrooms.

No mention of the new home enviroment they were now living in. Yet they felt it acceptable to do an unannounced visit on a home where there was no child protection plan in place.

With regard to them not changing the LA, they said :
1. The children's move may not be permanent. The section 7 report states the only contact my ex should be allowed is within the confines of the city the children and I live in.
2. The new LA felt it was best for the old authority to stay in charge for the present. The new LA told me that they had not been informed that the children were even in their area for access with me.

3. As the social worker did nothing till the court case was underway the judge ordered that the origional LA to complete a section 7.
Because they had knowledge of the family. Which they used as a reason not to relinquish their control.

I hope this helps you to understand our situation and why we are requesting confirmation of what should have happened.

As from my point of view their failure to transfer this has led to the children not being able to access resources in the new LA.

These resources are desperately needed as the children have been exposed to serious and prolonged DA/DV and several forms of Neglect.

tanker7

Post by tanker7 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:19 pm

Yes I would like to know as I'm in the same boat my grandson came to live with me when he was 16 the child protection plan was placed on him when he lived at home with his father I've asked social services to remove the plan because it now serves no purpose they have refused even though he is safe living with us his grandparents I would like a reply to your question

Bossman1959

Post by Bossman1959 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:11 pm

Hi..

We are still no way nearer to answers on this. I Complaint to the social workers boss may help, if nothing else it will show part of the paper trail. I would continue along the process till you have the answers you want.

The CP conference should be giving you the information you need. On why it has not been concluded.
An independent report has stated that the current system of Social Care in the UK is flawed, it is no longer based on helping the family, and more and more parents involved see this as the system dictating to them. Not Supporting them, which is what it should be doing.

Our case is on an private law application. One child all ready back with the addict parent. We are sure that relationship will break down soon, and the neglect start, however the social workers seem to think things will be ok. We are playing a waiting game till next court
date. Which hopefully will see both children with the non addict.

I would suggest if the social worker isn't responding and you are not getting anything at child protection meetings then start the complaints process.
Good luck.

tanker7

Post by tanker7 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:05 am

Thank you for your reply

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:30 pm

Dear Bossman1959,

I notice that your previous post was not responded to and I want to apologise for this.

Usually the local authority where a child(ren) is resident is responsible for a child protection plan. If children subject to a child protection plan within one local authority move to another area, the case should should be transferred within the local policies of both the host and receiving local authority. Sometimes it may decided that a transfer is not in the children's best interests, especially is the move is deemed to be temporary, which appears to be the case in your situation.

Is there any other advice you are looking for?

Best wishes,

Suzie.

Bossman1959

Post by Bossman1959 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:18 am

Thank you for your response, however the move was intended as permanent, unfortunately the relationship broke down, due to the stresses of social care and thier interventions.

Just more to evidence in my opinion, that the system Is flawed, as prior to the move there was infact no issues with regards to the home with the non addicted parent.

Unfortunately it Is my believe that in many cases the system of child social care is no longer sufficient to help the parents of today.

Some who are living in poverty trying their best to feed and clothe their children. Feel that the system is oppressive to say the least. We no longer have the resources that we had 40 years ago. These resources are being used to try to protect more children who have been abused than ever before, therefore we are unable to stop the abuse before it starts. Leaving us with a vicious circle of children being abused because the resources are not available to stop the abuse before it starts.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:51 pm

Dear Bossman1959,

I am sorry to hear that there was a breakdown in relationship and that you did not find children's services involvement to be helpful to your family. I would encourage you to enquire with your local authority about how you can provide this feedback to them, if you think that this would be useful in some way.

Please remember that if you would like any more advice or to talk through your case with one of advisers, you can call out advice line between 09:30 - 15:00 Monday - Friday on 0808 801 0366, excluding bank holidays.

Best wishes,

Suzie.