Worried about exs new partner

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 pm

Worried about exs new partner

Post by 123245 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:30 pm


First time poster and hopefully somebody can give me some help/guidance with this dilemma.

My ex has started a new relationship and I have discovered he has a very colourful past with an extensive history of violence (20 convictions for 29 offences). His latest conviction was only June last year where he was sentenced to 18 months for assaulting 6x police officers including racially aggravated abuse (police were attending to arrest him for a separate DV offence on his brother).

I made an application under Clair's Law and the police contacted me within two hours asking for my exs contact details as they needed to urgently speak to her. The police called me back after they spoke to my ex advising she knows about most of his convictions and it was know her choice.

I do believe in rehabilitation, but would be happier if he had been out of trouble for a few years rather than months. What are my options now as I don't feel that this individual should be around the five children?

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 3453
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Worried about exs new partner

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:32 pm

Dear 123245,

Welcome to the parents’ board and thank you for your post.

Your ex-partner, with whom you have 5 children, has started a new relationship with a person who has an extensive violent criminal history. He was most recently convicted in June last year for assault and racially aggravated abuse. You made an application under Claire’s Law, and were later advised by the police that your ex-partner is aware of her new partner’s convictions. You would now like to know your options as you are worried about the safety of your children.

It is understandable that you are concerned about your children, given your ex-partner’s new partner’s history. There are several things you can do – firstly, are children’s services involved? If not, I would advise that you make a referral to children’s services, so that an assessment of risk can be properly conducted by a social worker. You can make a referral outlining your concerns by searching for your local children’s services MASH number online.

Secondly, you do not mention what your current contact arrangements with your children are? As their parent, you can keep the children in your care if you feel that their safe would be in immediate danger should they return to the care of their mother whilst she is with this person. This could cause your children some distress and disruption and it is likely that your ex-partner will disagree with this course of action. Alternatively, if you would like the children to live with you, you can make an application to the courts for a child arrangements order. You can read a bit more about this here and may find it helpful to contact child law advice directly for advice on 0300 330 5480.

I hope you have found this helpful.

Best wishes,


Post Reply

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 318 on Fri May 28, 2021 9:04 pm